Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drawing process prototype

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
muleman1
2012 Views, 9 Replies

drawing process prototype

How do we change which prototype the drawing process uses? We would like for the drawing process to use our personalized prototypes. We can see where it appears you can select, but the choice is greyed out / dithered, so you can't choose.....or do we have to modify each drawing process prototype individually...

DPM pic.jpg

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
wtheron
in reply to: muleman1

Hello Muleman

You need to locate the process under the user directory / folder. Here you will be able to make changes required. Run the process then from the user folder under the quick documents.

Message 3 of 10
mclarenforever
in reply to: wtheron

I want to add my own process: All Sp PageFull A3.

I am going to start creating this from All Sp PageFull A2, and change only A2 prototype to A3.

Shold I use Copy or Deep Copy. ? Wich is the diference..?

and what else I have to change to make possible using A3 instead of A2.

Thank you.!

Screenshot 2015-06-11 10.43.03.png

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: mclarenforever

hi,

use Copy. DO NOT USE DEEP COPY.

Deep will make copies from every setting in the copy you make, ik will result in setting with names like "copy from copy"

You will get lost in copied settings.

If you need a new setting make your own name and give it a name that you understand later.

Message 5 of 10
_Phil_N

I'm really struggling with this - I'm going round in circles trying to navigate to find where i can change the processes to use my customized prototype with company logo etc.

Could anyone provide me with a step by step guide or perhaps a screencast maybe?

Many thanks !

Message 6 of 10
muleman1
in reply to: _Phil_N

@_Phil_N are you trying to customize your prototypes or create a custom drawing style or process? 

this is a very good youtube on customizing prototype   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7BSu8ogBQg&list=PL8TTZL-bHSmVK_9rhHsoGgbqB8UqJtEK9&index=6

customizing drawing styles and process is so extremely difficult I can't even begin to attempt to explain.....we are just beginning to try this

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 7 of 10
_Phil_N

Hi, I've already got some customized prototypes (copies that i made of the originals that i have stored in the prototypes directory) that I use in drawing styles.

It makes sense to use them in drawing processes too, however i can't find where to change prototypes within the drawing process manager and am producing processed drawings with the default AutoDesk logo in the title block, then 'changing prototypes' afterwards in the document manager.

So i guess you could say i'm trying to create a custom drawing process.

Message 8 of 10
AleckGiles
in reply to: _Phil_N

Hi all,

First: ALWAYS keep a back up of the standard prototypes as installed.

Then when you make your set of prototypes with your logos etc. REPLACE the as installed ones using the same names. Then all processes will link to your prototypes and you never have to think about editing drawing processes.

If you want different prototypes for different jobs copy the prototypes you want (with the standard names) into the Project folder. E.g. Project model called Proj1.dwg. You have a folder with it called Proj1. Inside that put a folder called Prototypes and put the project specific prototypes in there. At all times the prototype files keep the standard names. Any drawings will always be created with Project Specific Prototypes if they exist, without you changing any settings. If a project specific prototype cannot be found then the drawing defaults back to the master one in the master data folder.

As others have said editing and customising Drawing Processes and Drawig Styles is the deepest and most complex part of the entire system. Not something we expect typical users to do themselves and certainly not without guidance and training. You cannot edit anything in the Advance sections of the structures. That is locked as a back up. You can only edit what is in the User section of the structures. On first install the Advance and User sections are the same. Both should have processes for Single and PageFull (Multi Sheet) on each paper size already defined.

I hope that helps.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: AleckGiles

Aleck,

I´m dealing with the same thing. I noticed that when a use a customized prototype in a drawing created with Drawing Style Manager, everithing works fine, but when a create a drawing with Drawing Processes (and then apply my prototype), the customizations doesn´t work (for example customized dimension styles).

So, in conclusion, if a want to use a customized prototype i can only do by creating drawings from Drawing Style Manager. This is quite annoying since i can´t use camera views with Drawing Processes.

Thanks in advance.

Message 10 of 10
johnjmbennett
in reply to: Anonymous

By dimension style , do you mean the actual autocad dimension style created within the prototype. If you so, then you have two opinions: Use the same name for the style as set in the original prototypes. Or change the dimstyle reference in the MT defaults. This MT default controls what style is used as default across the system.

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report