Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance Steel help menu display defaults

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
muleman1
1658 Views, 14 Replies

Advance Steel help menu display defaults

When we hit F1 or hover any of the ribbon commands and choose F1. Vanilla Autocad2015 help pops ups instead of AS2015 help. We have worked around it my placing a shortcut (top left of pic). Is there some where to set the default help menu so when we press F1, the appropriate help menu opens?

help pix 9-13-14.jpg

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
virajvoditel
in reply to: muleman1

Even I am facing the same problem. In fact, the shortcut you suggested opens up a "Page not found" for me. I am unable to access AS help. Any idea where I can find it online?

Message 3 of 15
muleman1
in reply to: virajvoditel

We have experimented with three temporary fixes:

1. We assigned a shortcut to the quick access tool bar: help pix 9-13-14.jpg

2. You can access thru start menu:WIN7startmenu.jpg

3. we assigned the F3 key to bring up the menu. (google assigning Function keys)

No of these however will bring up the exact help needed for the function you are hovering over. You still have to search. Even seaching when we copy the AS command line promts (AST*), the AS help does not recongize the command????

notopicsfound.jpg

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 4 of 15
virajvoditel

Thanks, at least I was able to access the Help through the start menu.

Message 5 of 15
FProcp

I think this is a big failure in the software. Most of us are new to this software and WE NEED interactive help. This must to be fixed soon.
Franco
GMT +08:00
Message 6 of 15
FProcp

Franco
GMT +08:00
Message 7 of 15
muleman1

@wtheron do you know anyone far more advanced than us to address the help menu issues in the pix of this post. We have tried repairing, re-installing and uninstalling AS with no avail....it seems as though the help menu doesnt work as desired.

Message 8 of 15
cad
Advocate

Hello,

you have to insert the command with the leading "_". Then you get the right result for the command.

AS_Help.JPG

Regards

Joerg 

Message 9 of 15
muleman1
in reply to: cad

thanks @joerg.seyffert so I've been playing with me help menu and this is the work flow I've come up with....

Step 1- hover over ribbon command and press F1 for help for the particular command I am hovering over , #2 -copy AS command from vanilla AutoCAD help, #3 paste into AS help (I have to start that manually), #4 - insert underscore prefix , #5 - view non relevant topics...... most times AS Help does not even recognize the _AST* that we copy into the search ??? It does bring up relevant topics occasionally. Do you have this similiar experience ?

help menu 2.jpg

Message 10 of 15
cad
Advocate

I hoped, this could be a solution, but you are right. It only works in some cases.

I don't unterstand this. Autodesk must fix it. 

Generally the documentation of the program ist not good. The Starting Guide only describes the work flow, an the User guide is not better.

Regards

Joerg

Message 11 of 15
muleman1
in reply to: cad

Thanks for the help, without the support of this forum and YouTube users, we would be totally lost. I saw on AutoDesk website another forum type page called Idea Station, but there was no listing for AS
Message 12 of 15
wtheron

Muleman,

I am sorry I do not know the answers to the questions in this thread regarding F1 Help.

Message 13 of 15
muleman1

@DumitruBerteanu

have you encountered the problem described in the 1st post of this thread ?

Message 14 of 15
DumitruBerteanu

The F1 is indeed binded to the AutoCAD help and now the Advance Steel help file.

To access the Advance Steel help file you can use the button present on the "Tools" ribbon tab, as showed below :

helpbutton.png

This calls an Advance Steel command : "_AstM4HelpCommand" which starts the apropiate help .chm file.

You can then map this command to create a new button with it on the quick access toolbar.

Dumitru Berteanu
Product Owner
Message 15 of 15
muleman1
in reply to: DumitruBerteanu

when hovering over a given ribbon command, the option "press F1 for more help" appears. Shouldn't pressing F1 at this time, bring up the appropriate, specific help information for the given command you are hovering over ???

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report