Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add more section to database in Advance steel

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
duchoabn
5900 Views, 6 Replies

Add more section to database in Advance steel

HI all

When I modeling my structure, in database profile of Advance steel not enough for me.

Example: I want create one section I 200x120x6x8 (mm) 

Pleae guide me to create this profile above or Add more profile into database of Avance Steel

Thank all so much

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DumitruBerteanu
in reply to: duchoabn

If the shape of the profile you need to use doesn't exist in any of the existing profile, you can use the "User section" functionallity to draw your own shape and then add it in profile database to be used during modelling. More information about how User sections can be created are found in the User Guide avaliable at : http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/advance-steel/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/...

To add a new size to an existing profile, you need to edit the AstorProfiles2015 database as follows :

1. Open "Management Tools 2015" and then access "Table editor"

2. Use the "Open ODBC" button located in the top-left corner to display the Advance Steel 2015 used databases. Expand "AstorProfiles"

3. Open the table associated to the profile definition.

To identify the table based on the name you see at the interface, you need to:

a) In AstorProfiles, open the table "ProfileMasterTable"

b) Scroll right until you get the columns with the language translation. Run "Find" on the column associated to your product language installation (e.g. US English uses "USEnglish" column ; UK English uses "English" column, and so on)

c) Use the section name displayed in Advance Steel in the Find step. This will find you a definition line. 

d) The definition table associated to the profile is mentioned in the column "TableName". Note this name, and open the respective table.

4. With the definition table open, add a new line by filling out the bottom fields. The table Primary Key is "SectionName", so to add the line please fill this cell first.

The columns inside a profile definition table contain the following type of values :

- StandardName is the name that appears at the interface if the column with the installation language is left empty.

- SectionName is the profile internal name that can be used in other configurations. It will not appear at the interface or created documents. It can be the same as StandardName

- Standards - set it to 1.

- Reservers - set it to 1 for a hot rolled section ; 2 for a cold rolled section that is unwindable.

- OwnerText - set it to any of the avaliable owners (Authors) ; new authors can be added to Advance Steel from the "Management Tools 2015 / Options" setting

- following is a series of geometric parameters. Those vary based on section type ( I section will offer web/flange dimensions, RO sections will only offer inner/outer diameters etc.)

- after the geometric parameters the profile also accepts design parameters that are then used during joint design.

- Last set of columns contain the language translation. Through this a section can be named differently based on the product language used during installation, even if the section remains constant. If the translation column is left empty, Advance Steel uses the StandardName value.

Adding new sections in Advance Steel AstorProfiles database can also be done with a dedicated .mdb editor, like Microsoft Access. The database is called AstorProfiles2015.mdb and is by default located in the following folder : C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Advance\Data

Dumitru Berteanu
Product Owner
Message 3 of 7
duchoabn
in reply to: DumitruBerteanu

hi Pro

Thank pro so much

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Dumitru,

I tried teh same but i am getting incorrect sections.

I added a new line to Indian Rolled equal angle section and when i create teh same section in model it comes as a triangle and not an angle section.

can you pls help me know where i have erred.issue with angle section creation.PNG

aded in table.PNG

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I got the solution- 

Need to update in profiletypeclassdefinition in astorprofile.

Message 6 of 7
DServold

I have done this process for a number of HSS sections but the weight of the section is not correct. How do you change the per foot weight of a section?

Message 7 of 7
DumitruBerteanu
in reply to: DServold

The weight of the member is calculated using the "G" parameter from the definition table.

This column comes typically after the main geometrical parameters and lateral surface. 

To add this value, you need to transform it into Kg/m. This is the accepted unit for defining the weight. In the tables, there are no option to change the units in which you define the parameters.

In Advance Steel the weight will appear in any unit set in Project setting, so the conversion is done in the program.

Dumitru Berteanu
Product Owner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report