Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Knee connection for AS - urgent

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
huyxp
1202 Views, 12 Replies

New Knee connection for AS - urgent

Hi All

I have one Knee connection need to create for my project. Please see my detail and tutorial me to create this connection by connection vault or manual then create custom connection for this. 

I think this is very typical connection in Steel structure

Thanks so much

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
hoand
in reply to: huyxp

Hi All

Anyone can you help me?

Thanks

Message 3 of 13
AleckGiles

Hi,

Use "Welded Beams, Tapered" to create the column and rafter out of plates. If you work wiht the settings you should be able to get them to match your image. Then use a normal Single Sided End Plate joint with the rafter as the Main Beam and the Column as the Secondary Member. Again fiddle with the settings and you should be able to get something like your image. No need for a custom connection so far.

The plate on the bottom of the rafter is part of the rafter beam. The plate on the top of the column is part fo the joint. I assume ther must be bolts in there somewhere otherwise your whole building will be welded. If you don't want bolts try the End palte joint on the top of the column instead.

To get the plates to extend outside and add stiffeners will require extra features so you will need ot model those manually and use a User Connection to combine everything.

I attach a model as an example.

Untitled.png

Somethign like that any way.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 4 of 13
hoand
in reply to: AleckGiles

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply

I just tried this connection but it not correct, please see my picture for detail

knee as 2.JPG

Message 5 of 13
AleckGiles
in reply to: hoand

Hi,

I can't see the system line for the rafter so I don't think it is going to the corner. As always, it is good practice to make sure the system lines of your beams meet. Both the column and rafter system lines should extend to the top conrer - i.e. the beams overlap until the joint is placed. If either beam is going to be shorter you might stop the column at the bottom of the rafter so you can control the beam depth at that point.

It is the column that gets cut to the bottom of the rafter so no matter what the rafter system line needs to extend to the outside of the column.

Then I think you will get a better result.

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 6 of 13
hoand

Hi

Thank you for quick guide, please check and help me by my file in attachment.

Thanks so much

Message 7 of 13
AleckGiles

HI,

Something like this.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 8 of 13
hoand

Hi

Thank you so much, I have one more question: how to end plate parallel with xy plane.

Thanks

Message 9 of 13
AleckGiles

Hi,

The only way to control the angle of the end plate is the beam depth of the first segment of the Rafter beam. You will have to do some maths or experiment. It won't be easy.  So long as your roof pitch is always the same you only have ot do the maths once and can use the same values fo rhte first segment every time.

Otherwie you will have to find a whole differnt way to model the joint.There is always more than one way to do somethign. This was one suggestion.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 10 of 13
hoand

Hi

Thank you so much I think we need to find new connection type for this detail

And I see other connection can crete for this, pl see picture below

Thanks

Message 11 of 13
muleman1

I play around a little with your knee haunch. Its seems you can make it, just tinker with a combination of welded beams/columns and tools...

haunch 10-11-16.png

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 12 of 13
hoand
in reply to: muleman1

Hi

wow it's same my detail but top flange of rafter is only one slope.

Please make one screencast for your connection?

Thanks

Message 13 of 13
muleman1

i have attached a screencast. there are many ways to do anything with AS. I seem to always go the hardest route, lol. because if you you rated the knowledge of AS from 1 to 10, 10 being completely understand AS, my level is below 1. but we struggle thru and learn from the gracious AS masters that take time to advise us from this forum!  It is long (25 min), but I hope it helps.

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums