Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layers not assigned automattically

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
sibarut
2418 Views, 14 Replies

Layers not assigned automattically

Hi,

My problem is when I create a connection the layers are going to Layer 0. The "Default used for AS object based on object rule" was already checked. What could be the solution?

Please image attached.

Problems exist because there are solutions to find out.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
johnjmbennett
in reply to: sibarut

You need to make sure your current layer in model is set to "standard". This triggers the layer assignment operation.

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
sibarut
in reply to: johnjmbennett

Thanks bro. Works perfect!

Problems exist because there are solutions to find out.
Message 4 of 15
markhubrich

What about if during creation things were not on this layer. Can I put them on the 'standard' layer and refresh or something?

Thanks

...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 5 of 15

Hi John,

I'm new to Advance Steel, I notice this behavior of the software but now notice that is not doing that, any advice? or solutions to make behave as per default?

Message 6 of 15
markhubrich
in reply to: Allan.Garbutt

If it isn't working properly when layer is set to standard it sounds like you may not have started a new drawing using advance steel. I noticed in the past that things are not the same opening an existing cad file even though many commands appear to work. 

Start a new drawing and import you're existing work and you shouldn't have these issues.

...and fix the kiss export issues.
Message 7 of 15

and maybe additional:
the new drawing had to be start with a template, in which the original layers (or these which are set in the defaults) are exitisting!

Sebastian Eiche
Application Engineer @Mensch und Maschine acadGraph

EESignature

If this information was helpful, please use the Accept as Solution function, this make it easier for other users

Message 8 of 15
Allan.Garbutt
in reply to: markhubrich

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply, it originally worked but i think (not sure, i will test it and reply in the thread so it is logged) stop working after doing -purge R * n  (R standing for Regapps).

If this is the case, to your knowledge the only way to fix it is to copy the entire model to a new file?

Message 9 of 15
AleckGiles
in reply to: Allan.Garbutt

Hi,

As stated above the required layers must already exist in the model. It sounds like you have (accidentally) purge the layers too so there is no Beams or Plates layer or whatever to put the objects on. Try starting a new model in a new file form ASTemplate.dwt and see if it works then.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 10 of 15
RichO
in reply to: markhubrich

I have the same question, it looks like everyone ignored it.

So having made objects without using the 'standard' layer

how can i go back and tell the objects to update or am I going to have to delete all the layer 0 objects and recreate them using the standard layer.

Cheers

Rich.O

Message 11 of 15
AleckGiles
in reply to: RichO

Hi,
There is noting that will magically put things back on the separate layers. You will have to move them to the right layers manually. No need to remodel them just select them and then select the desired layer in the layer drop down.
Regards,
Aleck.

Aleck Giles, Structures Consultant, Graitec

EESignature

LinkedIn
Message 12 of 15
Drawtech

You can't update them automatically, but you can do it manually fairly easily.
On the AS Palette, use the selection filters to select everything of a certain object type, e.g.beams.
On the Home Ribbon, use the layer dropdown and select the Beams layer.
Escape to deselect.
Do the same for Plates, Bolts, Welds and so on.
Dave Gronow
Drawtech Services Ltd
Message 13 of 15
RichO

ok sweet, so its only the layer assignment that gets missed, i was worried there may have been other things set that were missed but if its only the layer i can fix easy enough, cheers fellas

Message 14 of 15
johnjmbennett

Yes the standard layer triggers the objects/elements being moved to the layers that are set up in the model template file. Also it references the layer assignment settings inside the management tool defaults, so providing they are the same in both places it will place the elements like beans, plates welds, bolts , anchors onto their nominated layer. The layer must exist in the model. The is a second part to this also, if you use joints etc, those joints create elements, those elements have model roles automatically assigned, with this there is a database table, that can be used to link model roles to specific layers. So you can set this up to send specific items to a layer based upon their model role. Very useful in some of the more complex macros for stairs and railings. Also , what Dave said is totally correct, using this you can quickly correct this slight error and get back on track. The key is to remain on the standard layer, unless you need too. Cheers

John Bennett

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
RichO

ahhh i see , great explanation, cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report