Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View .rfa Revit Families

View .rfa Revit Families

How about the ability to view .rfa files, say just the standard 3D view? Right now this is what we get Smiley Sad

Not supported.png

32 Comments
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK
Autodesk Support
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Chad-Smith
Advisor

I recall somewhere in the list of ideas here there is one which requests not only the ability to support .RFA's, but to also manage them, and then to integrate that management directly into Revit so that they can be loaded.

Kind of like what Vault does, but cloud based.

CharlesBerteaux
Advisor

Yes!!! Very good comment, and sooooooo needed!!! It would be awesome if we could host our library of families here and just drag and drop them from the browser into Revit!!!

kdhendren
Community Visitor

I would like to be able to view the RFA files as well.  We created a series of family files and as a marketing team, would like the ability to view the files in a viewer. Our engineers have the full program, and I am just interested in viewing the files. I would have thought A360 would be able to provide that feature.

BDMackey
Collaborator

Yes this is a long needed feature and I am contantly amazed how things like this get overlooked.  I also want to be able to use the Explode Model options in the new version of A360.  Amazed how well that works with a .sat file yet not a native Autodesk Revit Family

Bud_Schroeder_ADESK
Autodesk Support

Hi Guys,

Please be sure to vote for this as well when you leave comments. 

Thanks

Paul_F_Aubin
Advocate

I use A360 to share content that I build for my clients. Having the veiwer support RFA files would be most welcome! Thanks. 

BrianGriffin3834
Participant

I am trying to create RFA files in Inventor. Sometrimes with success, more often than not they have errors.

There is no way to verify if the files are correct without a viewer

BDMackey
Collaborator

Brian,

If you install Revit it will work as a full version for 30 days and after that it will be a viewer.

BrianGriffin3834
Participant

Hi

Yes, that's the workaround, but not as good as dragging the file into A360.

BDMackey
Collaborator

Completly agree, that is why I tweeted and blogged about getting users to vote for this feature, there were 3 votes last week, hoping to get more people to vot on this thread.

truevis.com
Enthusiast

Any progress on this? Teams working with Revit may need to manage RFA and TXT (shared parametrers, keynotes, type catalogs) content.

RFA and TXT are not yet supprted in the A360 viewer.

Bud_Schroeder_ADESK
Autodesk Support

Hey Guys,  Can you share with us more details around this from just a viewing perspective in A360? 

Thanks

Chad-Smith
Advisor

I hope this is startig to get some attention, rather than just a reaction to the last post.

My requirements are:

• View the Family, at this stage any kind of viewing is better than none. Smiley Wink
  • It would be good if materials are displayed.
  • Taking into consideration the Family Types, there would need to be the ability to change Types and see the exact result. I assume this is the main reason for why this is taking so long to implement. i.e. it's not a static element.
  • The ability to view the Family Types data.

As a final non-question related request, the ability to drag-drop directly from A360 into a Revit project.

CharlesBerteaux
Advisor

Hey Bud,

I had hoped that this thread/topic would gain momentum once posted....Maybe not enough people are using A360 yet Smiley Tongue

but out to circle back,

it it only makes sense that if A360 gives us acces to our Projects, Models and Documents we should have access to those items that make up our models - .rfa or Revit families. 

I'll some screenshots tomorrow when I'm in front of pc, and can make it presentable 😉

BDMackey
Collaborator

Bud,

I agree with Chad and his points

First and foremost the ability to see a .rfa family would be the first step.

I would also like to add to Chad's points that if a type catalog were added to the folder that it could then see all the family types and adjust the veiw accordingly.  There is also a lack of being able to share families when using C4R so being able to use A360 to load families not only into a server based project but a C4R project would be invaluable.  Currently my clients have to share all of the project families on an FTP site.

I have had some users request the capability to adjust a parameter and see the family update but I am not sure if that is a good idea or not.

Thanks for asking and possibly looking into this addition

Alriddin
Advocate

We are creating shared families for certain of our clients, and need them to view the families online, in order to provide feedback. Currently, the client needs to download each family separately, and view them in Revit. This isn't a user friendly workflow, and causes a number of time delays. The time delays are critical to the client's deadlines, and even more so because we are just about on other sides of the globe. Please include the RFA file type, to allow for more efficient workflows

KALH
Advocate

The standard 3D view isn't enough for a family since you have 2D or 2.5 D families too and all the detail components. We need an A360 that is content agnostic, any content should be viewable, images/materials/families/etc...And since Revit accept the Drag and drop functionality we should be able to drag and drop any content into Revit from A360 Team.

CharlesBerteaux
Advisor

Kalh - Amen to that!

Don't forget to Vote this Up. The higher up the chain the more likely it will be implemented.

joe
Community Visitor
Community Visitor

My company has multiple full licenses and created various .rfa families for our clients.  My architect clients can see the files in their licensed versions, but I can't simply view them for reference without spending $2000 annually?  The A360 viewer does not accept .rfa, despite claims by Autodesk sales that it should.  Given that, I can't see how I could justify a license if they don't know what their own products do.  My case number is 12052701.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report