Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could A360 include/host Content Management tools/libraries?

Could A360 include/host Content Management tools/libraries?

We have looked at quite a few Revit Content Management tools, all seem to be web based, on internal or externally hosted servers with a Plugin to Revit. I then instantly though, could A360 not potentially do this? What do others think? Is it a nice idea? Would you use it. Essentially you would have one source of the truth, managed and controlled content, developed by the guys who develop Revit, lots of storage, potential API links, ability to share content externally or for specific projects etc.be interested on what people think about this.
6 Comments
Bud_Schroeder_ADESK
Autodesk Support
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like your concept. It absolutely makes sense for the internal management of a design or engineering firm's content. 

Using your idea as a springboard, how about improving the process of downloading the content from a manufacturer? What if there was a more streamlined, interactive way for designers and engineers to access manufacturer content. The result might be a more interactive, user-optimized approach for highly configurable products.

The net result: saving the designer or engineer time and improving the process of incorporating 3rd party components.

Going back to the original question, I would also wonder why not include family level content managment in the A360 environment?

ukdxb012
Advisor

If you like it, please, please provide Kudos to get it up the list, that way it will at least be reviewed.

A360 can potentially open doors to allsorts of possibilites, including the ability to share content on A360 for use on a Project by everybody. It would need some controls of course but i think it would be a useful tool.

We have to otherwise store all this locally on servers, back it up etc.

ukdxb012
Advisor
Chad-Smith
Advisor

I had this same idea today after reviewing some other content managers. Good to see someone else has already brought it up. I think A360 would be perfect.

The A360 system already provides us with:

• Filename
  • Who uploaded
  • When it was last updated
  • Past versions
  • A model viewer
  • Tags for categorisation
  • A comment system to advise how the content could be improved

Things I would like to see added are:

• An approval process - Maybe a PLM360 Workflow style process 8^)
  • Ability to view Types and parameter/metadata
  • File permissions
  • A Revit UI for loading - The Vault Family Loader is not too bad as a start

I too would like to see an API specifically for this. This would allow 3rd party developers to continue developing their add-ins.

aaron.tw
Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report