A360 Tips, Tricks & Tutorials (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: How to Manage your Data in A360

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
BrettWright
2584 Views, 5 Replies

HELP: How to Manage your Data in A360

Whether you are new to A360 or have been with us all along, if you are a user of A360 and are also using A360 Drive you might have the following questions:

• What is the difference between storing files in A360 projects vs. A360 Drive?
  • How do I access my A360 Drive files from A360?
  • Can I copy my files from my A360 Drive to A360?
  • What is the recommendation for how to use my A360 Drive and A360 projects together?

The difference between storing files in an A360 project and A360 Drive

• A360 is project based.
    • Allows you to collaborate with your team members that you invite to projects.
    • Project members can collaborate on the files that other A360 project members have uploaded.
  • A360 Drive is folder/file based.
    • Your personal storage area, and is separate from your A360 projects.
    • Allows you to work on files without sharing all your edits with other users.
    • When enabled on your desktop, these files are available offline, and editable directly on your desktop.
    • A360 Drive can sync* files between your local desktop and A360 Drive, making these files available offline.
    • Also available within AutoCAD 360.
    • *Available with AutoCAD, AutoCAD based verticals, Inventor, and Showcase (or Suites containing these products).

Accessing A360 Drive files from A360:

• Select “Data”.
  • You will see links to Project Data and A360 Drive.
  • Click on either link to show the files contained in each location.

Managing data p1.png

Copying files from A360 Drive to an A360 project:

• If A360 Drive is enabled on your desktop you can continue to sync your local files to your A360 Drive.
  • When you are ready to share with your team, you can then copy them over to your A360

managing data p2.png

Our recommendation for how to manage your data in A360:

• Use A360 Drive to store the files that you’re working on that are not yet ready to be shared with others.
  • When ready to share your A360 Drive data, copy it over to A360 into a project and invite your team members into that A360 project.

managing data p3.png

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MRiemenCAD
in reply to: BrettWright

Take a look at my attached file. Can i Sync project data? If so how and if not why?

Project Sync?

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
BrettWright
in reply to: MRiemenCAD

HI Matt,

Thanks for your question regarding syncing your data back to your local computer from the A360 Hub vs. from A360 Drive.

You're right, No, currently this is not possible with A360, it's only available with A360 Drive as the illustration displays.

Regarding the "why" part, primarily it's because the current thought around this topic is that when you're ready to share something, that something you do with as an intentional act vs. an update that happens automatically (via sync) where something might be shared that you didn't want it to.

That all being said, if you'd please post this to our Ideastation linked below, then you'd be able to allow others to vote and comment on the idea as well, so it would be really interesting if we could also see if others support this idea as well.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/a360-ideastation/idb-p/206 

Thanks, again, really appreciate you taking the time to write in.

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 4 of 6
markf

Still new to this, but here goes:

I have a small architectural office.  Even so, we may have 15 projects going on that have data that in tital is probably closer to 50 gb.  

The way I understand it, if 2 people are collaborating, then you have 20 gb availalble.  Do you purchase more space?

Message 5 of 6
BrettWright
in reply to: markf

Mark, 

I'm really sorry that i didn't see this sooner, 

The answer to your question is yes you can purchase additional storage by purchasing additional "member subscriptions" i.e. 1 member = 10GB pooled with any others as you stated in your initial post where you stated 2 members = 20GB pooled storage.

That is the only way that we have for you to currently bump up your storage capacity at this point, but we are looking at different options for future so that you know as well.

So, from your hub, if you go to your profile picture in the upper right corner, you should see the Subscription Details link at the bottom where you can purchase directly from there, or from your Value Added Reseller as well. FYI if you do have your VAR submit your order be sure that they use the same email address as was used initially so that the new A360 entitlements show up in that persons "manage.autodesk.com" site so they can be assigned out properly.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, as well see the purchase process fully documented here.

purchase subscription details.png

Thanks,
Brett Wright
Community Manager
Message 6 of 6
aaronwagner

I think one way to achieve what Matt is describing is to download the A360 Team version and sync that copy to his A360 Drive. That keeps it as an external "study" version.

Often times designers will want to sketch their ideas within a copy of the project data until they're ready to make it "live." At that point they can collaborate with the rest of the team to incorporate the ideas into the current design.

The functionality is there, it's just that it's safely separate enough going backwards to ensure you're only editing a personal version.
Aaron Wagner | Technology Consultant – Autodesk Construction Business Line Lead

U.S. CAD | Achieve More
Rocky Mountain Region, Denver, CO
T: 877-648-7223 x301

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report