Revit Cloud Worksharing Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Cloud Worksharing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Cloud Worksharing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C4R & A360 and Data Sharing Security

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
a.saad.8
505 Views, 5 Replies

C4R & A360 and Data Sharing Security

Hello everyone, 

I am working as a BIM Coordinator here in Paris, and we are using REVIT server to share our models between the firm's branches (which is many and in different cities around France).

I've experienced using C4R and A360 and I found that the performance is much better, easier, and faster than using REVIT Server. 

Which made me suggested to my colleagues using C4R. 

After a short discussion with the IT department; I found that there are some points which we maybe don't understand that much and I hope that someone could clarify them for me: 

• Information security : as we are talking about a "cloud" service, so this means that all our projects' data are shared with the cloud without any privacy control?
  • Economic wise : as a big firm like ours; would be the budget so big also? in other words If we decided to move on to use C4R, how the licenses thing gonna work?

Regards

Ahmed

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: a.saad.8

@a.saad.8 wrote:

Hello everyone, 

I am working as a BIM Coordinator here in Paris, and we are using REVIT server to share our models between the firm's branches (which is many and in different cities around France).

I've experienced using C4R and A360 and I found that the performance is much better, easier, and faster than using REVIT Server. 

Which made me suggested to my colleagues using C4R. 

After a short discussion with the IT department; I found that there are some points which we maybe don't understand that much and I hope that someone could clarify them for me: 

• Information security : as we are talking about a "cloud" service, so this means that all our projects' data are shared with the cloud without any privacy control?
  • Economic wise : as a big firm like ours; would be the budget so big also? in other words If we decided to move on to use C4R, how the licenses thing gonna work?

Regards

Ahmed

Ahmed,

The data managed on C4R is extremely secure.  Only those team members granted access to the BIM 360 Team Project can access the data.  We're glad to answer any specific questions on security - assuming the answers don't disclose a threat vector - you might have.

As for pricing, the service is unlimited use per user, with a cost of ~$800/user/year.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6

Regarding data security, how does A360 address, shared vs WIP data.  There are three options Admin (OK we need this!) Viewer and Editor.

If I am a viewer I can see the published data, markup, comment etc but cannot link, download or use the data viaC4R.

If I am an editor I can freely edit, delete, modify, move, download and link to in in C4R etc.

I am not able to link to an A360 project model using C4R unless I am an Editor, however in BS1192 process I should not see WIP of another discipline, I should Only see shared (A360 Published) Data.

How do we control models from 3rd parties, regardless of internal or external. 

If I am the author of the model, let's call us 'Discipline 1', 'Discipline 1' should only have access to the shared 'discipline 2'  model.

If I am 'Discipline 2' I should only see the shared 'Discipline 1' model.

Separate projects can control visibility by making 'Discipline 1' a viewer, however they now cannot link or us the 'discipline 2' model.

If  'Discipline 1' are an editor so they can link the 'Discipline 2' model, this is in conflict with BS1192!

HELP!

Give me Kudos or mark as a solution if this helps
Regards
Laura
Message 4 of 6

Laura,

Thanks for asking this question.  Cloud worksharing, to-date, is designed for highly collaborative, high trust, BIM authoring teams.  That designed workflows does not currently accommodate the PAS1192 workflow you mention.

Evolving the cloud worksharing workflow to support the controlled sharing of information amongst discipline teams is the highest workflow priority in the product backlog at the moment, and we are working to deliver the flexibility you, and many others, are seeking.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Thanks Kyle, so C4R is for Level 3 BIM. OK great I get that, and look forward to world where that is a reality.

Unfortunately with current practices where by design freezes and decision points need to be made before others can continue, makes Level 3 BIM a paradox.

But thanks for the feedback

Message 6 of 6
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Kyle, so C4R is for Level 3 BIM. OK great I get that, and look forward to world where that is a reality.

Unfortunately with current practices where by design freezes and decision points need to be made before others can continue, makes Level 3 BIM a paradox.

But thanks for the feedback

It is those current practices that are driving the focus of the team to enhance the sharing workflow.  Aside from overall service resiliency, evolving the cross-team sharing workflow is our biggest focus at the moment.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report