Community
A360 Drive Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s A360 Drive Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular A360 Drive topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk 360 Update Issue

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
CLE802A
4808 Views, 8 Replies

Autodesk 360 Update Issue

Hello, I have searched but don't think this issue has been broached yet:

I have the student edition of AutoCAD 2014, and also Autodesk 360. A long story: back in Feb. of this year, my area had a bad ice storm. My local power Co. had a period of quick power surges and interruptions, and it caused my PC's HD to crash. I replaced it with a bigger HD, but in the process of installing it and setting it up for OS installation, it was assigned the H: drive designation, as opposed to the previous, typical C: drive. The old C: drive designation was given by my PC to what once was a multi-memory card reader drive...it now reads compact flash cards, if I ever use them (I never have)...

Now on to the issue: apparently my Autodesk 360 is not written to take such unusual things into account. When I log into 360, I get a bubble at the bottom telling me that latest version 4.8.5.800 is ready for installation. When I select "Install Now", a little "Run As" window opens up showing my PC ID/owner info as "current user", with option to list another user. I am the only user that uses my PC, so I don't select this option. It also auto-selects "protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity".

So I then select OK. I get a Windows Installer red X button error msg saying, "Error opening installation file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable".

I'm deducing from this that the update version installer is not written to understand that the source drive could be anything other than the typical C: drive, and is unable to find the different designation. Like most other update programs are able to do with my PC. So the installer tries to install the 360 update to my multi-memory card reader, which of course aborts the install. So I am unable to ever update my Autodesk 360, unless there is a manual method I'm unfamiliar with. Could anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi Lee,

Thanks for posting your question. Are you saying you were able to get the OS to boot from your H drive. That may be more issues then just the A360 desktop component. AutoCAD actually looks for the C drive and does a lot of Microsoft products.

You can try installing the latest A360 Desktop update from this link.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autodesk-360/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-360-des...

I would recommend setting up so that your boot drive is C Drive if at all possible, it may save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Let me know how it goes when trying to install the 5.1 version of A360 Desktop sync component. And thanks for posting your question to A360 Drive.
Bud Schroeder
AutoCAD Customer Council Beta Programs
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your response Bud. This happened back in February, and I have been using the PC and installing new software to it with no problems. The Install Wizard for the programs used to ask where to install the programs, and it always had the window populated with the default destination file: "C:\Program Files\blah blah blah"....nowadays it has "H:\Program Files\blah blah blah:.

I didn't necessarily "get" my Windows XP OS to boot from the H: drive - that sounds like it was my preference. I replaced the fried Seagate 7200 HD with a new healthy Seagate 7200 HD, and proceeded with the recovery/system restore process with the Windows XP OS disk, and the process auto-selected the H: drive as the primary drive for my harddrive. I'm not the most adept at PC setups, so while I didn't like that it chose the H: drive, I didn't know what to do about it, so it's been the H: drive ever since. The AutoCAD installed to the H: drive with no issues, as did the 360, but the 360 update can't see the drive for some reason...

Is there a way to re-assign my HD to the C: designation without screwing up the OS and all the other stuff?

Message 4 of 9

Hi Lee,

There are a couple ways to re assign a drive letter, but that might make a larger mess for you. The issues I have seen here over the years are with some of the smaller installers included with AutoCAD, so you may not have hit any other issues just yet. The best bet would be to do a clean install from scratch and make sure that everything pointing to the right drive letters.

Give this a try and see if it works...

First log out of A360 on that system. Then clean out your user temp folder. You can go to start/run and type in...

%temp%

That will take you to the user temp folder. Delete everything in that folder that you can. You may need to re boot at least once to clean out most of the folder.

Now when you see the bubble notification for A360 Drive live update, go to that same temp folder and look for the ".msp" file. That is the patch. Copy it to a different folder on your system. Now try double clicking on the MSP file and see if it will run and patch your system.

You may also want to post this question in the Installation forum as well and just see if there are any known issues if you have an OS that is installed on H Drive. That will help rule out if you really need to re install on the system.

Hope this helps and please let me know how this goes.
Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 5 of 9

Thanks Bud...that temp file has 100s of folders and .tmp files in it. You mean for me to delete EVERYTHING that's in that temp folder??? Folders, files, and all?

Message 6 of 9

Hi Lee,

Anything in your %TEMP% folder can be deleted.  There are actually issues with the Operating System caused by too many files left behind in the temp folder.

Note that you may not be able to delete all the files.   Be sure to reboot your computer first then clean out the temp folder.   Here is a video that might help as well.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-c...

Hope this helps.

Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 7 of 9

OK, I've cleaned out the temp folder - as you stated above it can impact the OS with too many files, as my commit charge and virtual memory usage was pretty bloated, and it appears this was the issue behind this. So thanks for that nugget of info: I'll keep an eye on my temp folder from now on.

I restarted and logged back into Autodesk360, and also opened up my AutoCAD 2015. It shows the 360 is updated ("all files are up to date"), so I never got the "There are updates ready" message. I also didn't see a .mvp file appear in the temp folder - there was a folder named CTJBNS that appeared, with two sub folders named Copy and Excute that were empty (or have hidden files). Don't know if this has anythign to do with the 360, but they were created at the same moment I logged back into 360. I'll update you on if the update message re-appears, and if I can update 360 with it. Thanks again!

Message 8 of 9
CLE802A
in reply to: CLE802A

ALso, when Autodesk 360 is activated or accessed, it shows on my WinXP machine as a simple Windows Explorer window with the Autodesk 360 folder opened in My Computer. There are 3 items in the folder: 2 AutoCAD drawings that I uploaded into 360, and a folder named "Automatic Copy". There is no way I can see to determine what version my 360 is, to see if it's the version that the message was saying I needed to update it to. That would be a good way for me to immediately determine if it was actually updated somehow. Is there a way for me to determine the version of my Autodesk360?

Ahh.....hoold a minute. As I was typing this, the update message appeared. Let's see what it does....stand by....

Naahh....rats, it is still giving me the error message. When I select to install the update, I get this:

I don't know to make any changes to it (there are no other users - just me), so I select OK, and then get this:

So this is what I'm dealing with..... Man Sad

OK!! I re-read your instructions above - located the windows installer patch that was installed in the temp folder when I tried to update, and copied it to another folder elsewhere on my H: HD. I clicked on the file, and it updated!! So that did the trick for me, thank you! I will select your post with the instructions as being the solution to my problem, and will use this method for any future updates I have similar problems with. Thanks again, Bud!

Message 9 of 9

Hi Lee,

Thanks for letting me know that using the MSP worked for you.  I will also report this to the A360 Desktop Sync team that the service pack in the exe fails to install when you do not have the Operating System on a C Drive.   

You also asked how to tell what version you are running.  Go to the Sync icon in your system tray and right click on it. If you are not signed in, be sure to sing in first.  Then select Preferences and that will tell you what the version is.

Sync version right click.jpg

sync version preferences.jpg

Thanks again for letting us know and glad that we could sort this out.

Bud Schroeder
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report