Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XSI Server Not Loading From UNC/Networks Paths

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
576 Views, 20 Replies

XSI Server Not Loading From UNC/Networks Paths

Hello o/

Rob W. reported to me that sIBL_GUI and sIBL_GUI_XSI_Server were'nt working from his network ( Paths like : \\Server\Workgroup ).
We fixed the sIBL_GUI launcher, it should work fine now, but I don't manage to understand why the Server addon is not working : It's like there is nothing in the Addon when loaded from Network path 😐
To be sure it wasn't from me, I copied the XSI Workgroup Example Server onto my Network Workgroup, restarted, and it's the same for it too : Nothing show :wacko:

Anyone encountered this already ?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Soooo...... Nobody have a clue about this????

rob
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous

Does'nt sounds like 😐 That's really annoying :[
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

Does'nt sounds like 😐 That's really annoying :[

Have you tried switching the UNC path into a shared drive?
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous

no, and you shouldn't... Shared drives are evil....... 😜

rob
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous

no, and you shouldn't... Shared drives are evil....... 😜

Are you looking for a solution or a Holy grail?
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

I'm missing the 😉 at the end of the sentence......
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous

Have you tried switching the UNC path into a shared drive?

Yeah basically I'm working with Shared Drive at home when working on Windows, it works for me, but unfortunatly pipelines are different and not the same for everybody and in every studio.
Some Windows Pipelines are working with UNC Paths, and currently it seems that XSI / DotNet don't mix very well together at this point, even making some XSI provided features not working anymore in this case.
I think Rob and Me are looking for a solution but where UNC paths are considered in 🙂

KS
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous

I'm aware of your goal but if something doesn't work, it's usually good to check the other solutions, just to find out where is the problem.

Using the mounted drive is always the first step. If you're absolutely sure that XSI accepts UNC paths for plugins/workgroups then the next step would be to check the permissions on the shared folder.
Message 10 of 21
Anonymous

Yes Mounted Drive work ( Said it above ) 🙂
From what I understood, Rob and his studio are working with UNC paths, and it's working fine except for those DotNet plugins that don't seems to load.
I'll check at home for the permissions tihing, but currently only DotNet plugins seems to not work, Javascript, Python load correctly.
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

Yes Mounted Drive work ( Said it above ) 🙂
From what I understood, Rob and his studio are working with UNC paths, and it's working fine except for those DotNet plugins that don't seems to load.
I'll check at home for the permissions tihing, but currently only DotNet plugins seems to not work, Javascript, Python load correctly.

You forgot to mention about the managed code application before. The managed code requires special permissions, that allows application to be executed from the network share or a mounted drive. These are the different permissions that those applied to the network share or to the AD published resources. Ask the IT staff to do deal with it.

To test it, create a simple 'hello world' executable in the manage code and try to run it from the network share. If it works then, the XSI's plugin should work as well. If the plugin won't work, it means that it still requires additional privileges - like privilege to write to the network share etc - so the best (it terms of making things to work), would be to grant all possible privileges at start.
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous

Yeah I'll do that as soon as I'm back at home.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous

Yeah I'll do that as soon as I'm back at home.

As far as I remember, those permissions are required if the computer belongs to the active directory tree. Otherwise, you don't need them - like in a simple windows workgroup, that you may have at home.

If you're in the active directory network, try to run this program from a network share:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Text;
using System.IO;

namespace Test
{
class Program
{
static void Main( string[] args )
{
Console.WriteLine( "Working..." );
StreamWriter oStreamWriter = new StreamWriter( "test.txt" );
oStreamWriter.WriteLine( "Working..." );
oStreamWriter.Close();
Console.WriteLine( "Still working..." );
}
}
}
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

Yeah at home I use a simple workgroup, however maybe Rob can test on at his workplace.
Thx for the program, will test it tonight.
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not running a domain either (MS Homeserver setup).
I ran the test app on one of the server shares, and it creates a test file with one comment.. 'working'.

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.

rob
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous

I just tried your Test progam, It crashed at first because I didn't had the right to write/modify files on the shared folder, I adjusted them, the file went outputed ok, I relaunched XSI, still no DotNet plugins showing 😐
Thanx taking time to try to find a solution though !
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

Hi,

.NET shared plugins won't load in XSI unless they are registered in the GAP (annoying).

Details on the wiki: softimage.wiki.softimage.com/index.php/CSharp_Plugins_and_Workgroups

-mab
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

Sorry, I meant GAC not GAP...
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous

Oh 🙂

Sounds like you find the issue ! 🙂 I'll recompile that this evening and let you know ! Thx ^^
Message 20 of 21
Anonymous

Hi Thomas,

Did you got around the recompile and got it working??

rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report