Wiretap

Active Contributor
derrick
Message 1 of 6 (180 Views)

Getting parent node

180 Views, 5 Replies
01-04-2007 08:13 PM
Is it possible to get a WireTapNodeHandle for the parent node of a given clip node?
Valued Contributor
labuted
Message 2 of 6 (180 Views)

Re: Getting parent node

01-06-2007 11:52 AM in reply to: derrick
Sorry, it's not available. Given that you need the parent to get the child node in the first place, it should be easy to hold onto it at that time. Perhaps the WireTapNodeHandle object can "remember" it for you as a convenience.

Cheers,

Dan
Active Contributor
derrick
Message 3 of 6 (180 Views)

01-06-2007 03:28 PM in reply to: derrick
Actually, I'm not getting the node as a child of another node. I'm getting it directly via the nodeId.
Valued Contributor
labuted
Message 4 of 6 (180 Views)

01-06-2007 05:52 PM in reply to: derrick
Technically, the original node must have been obtained from a parent at some point, but I can easily dream up a scenario where you would be handed a node ID without knowing where it came from. For example, you might want to know the project setings of a given clip node you were asked to encode.

Unfortunately, the answer is stil the same for now. The only possible workaround (a really bad one) is to traverse the entire node hierarchy until you find your node ID.

Perhaps you can elaborate a bit on the details of the problem you're trying to solve so that I can provide more constructive answers... :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Dan
Active Contributor
derrick
Message 5 of 6 (180 Views)

01-09-2007 06:06 PM in reply to: derrick
Yeah, that's basically it. I'm handed a node ID from another application.

I changed the requirements, though ;-) The other app now has to also give me the node IDs of all the ancestors up to the root node.
Valued Contributor
labuted
Message 6 of 6 (180 Views)

01-09-2007 08:28 PM in reply to: derrick
We had a similar issue when we wrote the WT Web browser. The nav bar at the top shows all parent nodes for quick navigation. Regenerating each page would require extra hits on the WT server if we had not passed around all the ancestors. Check out the generated HTML source and you'll see what we did.

It's a bit of a pain to code, but it helps reduce the load on the server. This was the spirit of the decision not to provide parent node access in the API. Not sure we gain all that much though.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community