Wiretap

ciaran2
Message 1 of 4 (200 Views)

File ownership on new projects

200 Views, 3 Replies
11-12-2007 05:50 AM
If I create a PROJECT node, the project directories created under /usr/discreet/project are all owned by root rather than the flame user, which causes problems for our project management system (I really don't want it to run as root). In particular the project's config file by default is only writable by root.

Is there anyway to change this? If not, could you consider it for a future version?
Distinguished Contributor
dlabute
Message 2 of 4 (200 Views)

Re: File ownership on new projects

11-12-2007 08:22 PM in reply to: ciaran2
What version do you have? I'm quite sure that flame/smoke can properly edit/delete any project created via Wiretap. Can you confirm this?

Can you elaborate as to what you are trying to do? I'm pretty sure you should be able to do everything exclusively via Wiretap ... include editing project configration files.
ciaran2
Message 3 of 4 (200 Views)

11-12-2007 10:36 PM in reply to: ciaran2
Flame can, because it runs suid, but my project management software can't, as it runs as the flame login user.

What I'm doing is incrementally update software that moved projects around outside of flame to use wiretap where possible

Is it possible to edit the /usr/discreet/project//cfg/.cfg file through wiretap? Admittedly I haven't tried that yet.
Distinguished Contributor
dlabute
Message 4 of 4 (200 Views)

11-13-2007 04:57 AM in reply to: ciaran2
Ah ... makes sense now.

Wiretap 2008 is designed to allow you to access all project-related metadata through Wiretap. i.e. You shouldn't need to access anything via direct paths anymore.

The project.cfg, for example, is exposed as raw metadata on one of the setup nodes in the project. You can use the WireTapMetadataBlob class to extract it.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community