Visual LISP, AutoLISP and General Customization
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what variable controls this (dimensions tolerance )?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mrkaplan
578 Views, 6 Replies

what variable controls this (dimensions tolerance )?

attached a drawing with two dimensions

what variable controls the  difference btw the two  ?  thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: mrkaplan

@mrkaplan wrote:

attached a drawing with two dimensions

what variable controls the  difference btw the two  ?  thanks 

There seems to be a problem with the drawing file, but look at the following System Variables:
DIMLIM

DIMTFAC

DIMTM

DIMTOL

DIMTOLJ

DIMTP

DIMTZIN

Also look into the Tolerances category in the Properties box with a dimension selected.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 7
mrkaplan
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

what problem ? were you unable to open it ?

i am looking for what variable controls symmetrical tolerance display deviation vs symmetrical

see attached pdf

Message 4 of 7
mrkaplan

here is the result of some experimentation

i create a dimension style with a symmetrical tolerance . i make two identical dimensions .

Using properties , i change dimension #2 to deviation .

i list it  and here are the overrides : 

DIMGAP      0.6250
 DIMLIM      Off
 DIMTM       1.0000
 DIMTOL      On

i then apply these overrides using DIMOVERRIDE to dimension #1

dimension #1 stays the same  ( symmetrical ) 

what to make of this ?

Message 5 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@mrkaplan wrote:

what problem ? were you unable to open it ?

i am looking for what variable controls symmetrical tolerance display deviation vs symmetrical

[When I first tried, I couldn't open it, but got a corrupted-file message and the suggestion to try Recover, which didn't work either.  Nor did TrueView succeed in getting into it.  But now I just tried again, and it worked.]

I haven't been able to find a way through System Variables to get the stacked deviation style when the values are equal, except via fooling it by, for example, setting DIMTP to 1 and DIMTM to something off by less than the rounding value, like 1.0001.  So on a lark, I did this in your drawing, without having changed anything:

Command: (rtos (getvar 'dimtm) 2 10)
"1.000000001"

Command: (rtos (getvar 'dimtp) 2 10)
"1"

So the deviation style with apparently equal values is resulting from the two values actually being different, though by far less than the rounding value for either drawn dimensions or value display in the Properties box or Command: line.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 7
mrkaplan
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

thanks for your input . i might use that in a lisp and for instance add  0.000001 to DIMTM   
as i understand,  autocad doesnt really tell us what it does when it changes from symmetrical to deviation

Message 7 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@mrkaplan wrote:

as i understand,  autocad doesnt really tell us what it does when it changes from symmetrical to deviation

Check out the ToleranceDisplay VLA Property: 1 for Symmetrical, 2 for Deviation.

Changing a Symmetrical-toleranced Dimension to Deviation in the Properties box changes that property and the display, even when the + and - values are equal.  Whether you can force it to be 2 for new Dimensions when the settings are equal, I'm not sure, but you should at least be able to force it once a Dimension is drawn, with one of the VLA "put" functions.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost