ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

naming a single layout tab to match the file name

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
CrazyIvan
4107 Views, 20 Replies

naming a single layout tab to match the file name

Trying to get the files I use which are single-layout tab files to name the layout tab to match the file name, minus the .DWG extension.

Here is what I am trying to use, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Any help is appreciated.

(DEFUN C:RRT (/ name)
 (setq name (getvar (vl-filename-base (getvar "dwgname"))))

(command "-layout" "rename" name "")
(princ)
)

THANKS.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: CrazyIvan

@crazyIVAN wrote:

Trying to get the files I use which are single-layout tab files to name the layout tab to match the file name, minus the .DWG extension.

You have an extra (getvar) function in there, and the which-layout-to-rename and what-to-rename-it entries reversed.  Try:

(DEFUN C:RRT (/ name)
 (setq name (vl-filename-base (getvar "dwgname")))

(command "-layout" "rename" "" name)
 (princ)
)

or skip the variable, and just do this:

(DEFUN C:RRT ()

(command "-layout" "rename" "" (vl-filename-base (getvar "dwgname")))
 (princ)
)

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 21
CrazyIvan
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thanks!  I knew something was amiss.  It's been a few years since I've done any LISP, so forgotten skills...

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 21
bdcurry

Is there a way to do this with the sheet name instead of the filename?

Message 5 of 21
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: bdcurry

@bdcurry wrote:

Is there a way to do this with the sheet name instead of the filename?

That would depend on how/where the sheet name is stored.  Attribute?  If so, in what Block name, with what Tag?  Text entity?  If so, on what Layer, and/or in what size or style or something to distinguish it from other Text?  Or ask the User to pick it?  Something else?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 21
bdcurry

Any of those would work. But since just about all that could change from project to project, i think user pick would work good...

Message 7 of 21
Kent1Cooper

@bdcurry wrote:

Any of those would work. But since just about all that could change from project to project, i think user pick would work good...

Something like [minimally tested]:

(defun C:RTT (); = Rename Tab to match Text
  (if (/= (getvar 'ctab) "Model")
    (command ; then
      "_.layout" "_rename" (getvar 'ctab)
      (cdr (assoc 1 (entget (car

(nentsel "\nSelect Text/Mtext/Attribute to change Layout Tab name to its content: ")

)))); cdr etc.
    ); command
    (prompt "\nCannot rename Model space tab."); else
  ); if

(princ)
); defun

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 21
bdcurry

So it works on attributes but it only renames it with the one line I select. Can it do multiple lines?

And it wouldnt work for text/mtext, it selects the text but doesnt rename the layout.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 21
Kent1Cooper

@bdcurry wrote:

So it works on attributes but it only renames it with the one line I select. Can it do multiple lines?

And it wouldnt work for text/mtext, it selects the text but doesnt rename the layout.

I don't have a new-enough version [back in ol' 2004] to have multiple-line Attributes, so I can't help you there.  And for me, it does work with Text and Mtext -- I suppose that difference may also be version-related.  I hope someone else can step in and figure out how to alter it, or maybe work out some entirely different approach.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 10 of 21
pbejse

@Kent1Cooper wrote:

@bdcurry wrote:

I don't have a new-enough version [back in ol' 2004] to have multiple-line Attributes, so I can't help you there.  And for me, it does work with Text and Mtext -- I suppose that difference may also be version-related.  I hope someone else can step in and figure out how to alter it, or maybe work out some entirely different approach.

For Multi line Attribute , The first DXF 1 is always "". you can however reverse  the resulting data  (it wouldnt matter for TEXT/MTEXT) 

(cdr (assoc 1 (reverse (entget (car
(nentsel "\nSelect Text/Mtext/Attribute to change Layout Tab name to its content: ")
)))))

But still you may have to deal with these invalid characters for layout name  "<>/\":;?*|,=`"  might  it be MTEXT,TEXT or ATTRIBUTES. You need to STRIP the resulting string of those characters

HTH

Message 11 of 21
bdcurry
in reply to: pbejse

I am unable to get it to work, probably because im pretty new to Autolisp. Can i get more direction?

Thanks

Message 12 of 21
pbejse

@bdcurry wrote:

I am unable to get it to work, probably because im pretty new to Autolisp. Can i get more direction?

Thanks

If you can tell us whats happening when you say unable to get it work. and it wouldnt work for text/mtext.

whats the error message if any?

As i explained from the previous post, there are strings that are considered invalid characters  "<>/\":;?*|,=`" for layout name

Mtext usually have the "\\P" , code for new line. you probably didnt notice the error message after you click on a text/mtext with invalid characters. it would say at the command prompt 

The following characters are not valid in layout names:  <>/\":;?*|,=`

Is that whats happening on your case? If not the, post a sample drawing and we'll figure out together

Help us help you......

Message 13 of 21
pbejse

A quick mod [not tested]

(defun C:RTT (/ str)				; = Rename Tab to match Text
  (if (and  (/= (getvar 'ctab) "Model")
           (setq str (cdr (assoc 1 (reverse
	    (entget (car (nentsel
		  "\nSelect Text/Mtext/Attribute to change Layout Tab name to its content: "
		))))))))
	   (progn
	     (foreach kk '("\\P" "<" ">" "/" "\\" ":" ";" "?" "`*" "|" "," "=" "``")
               (while (vl-string-search kk str)
		(setq str (vl-string-subst (if (eq kk "\\P") " " "") kk str))
		))   
    		(command "_.layout" "_rename" (getvar 'ctab) str)		
    		)
    (prompt "\nCannot rename Model space tab.") 
  )
  (princ)
)

Message 14 of 21
bdcurry

Ok the problem is that my Attributed block has multiple lines and it only renames the layout with one line..

Example..."Chilled Beam Cooling Water Diagram" is the full title

Each part of the title is didvided like this in the block...

Sheet title 1 = Chilled Beam

Sheet title 2  = Cooling Water

Sheet Tile 3 = Diagram

When i select the block it only renames the layout with "Chilled Beam"

or if i click "Cooling Water" it will rename the layout "Cooling Water" and so on...it will only read one line of the block.

I need it to read all three lines of the block and rename accordingly. Is there a way to have it rename it by the Tag or Prompt within the block? (fyi most on my blocks will have 5-7 lines of info)

i just tested the text/mtext title and it is working with the new lisp you sent above. Thanks!

I have atttached an example for the block.

Message 15 of 21
pbejse

@bdcurry wrote:

Ok the problem is that my Attributed block has multiple lines and it only renames the layout with one line..

Example..."Chilled Beam Cooling Water Diagram" is the full title

Each part of the title is didvided like this in the block...

Sheet title 1 = Chilled Beam

Sheet title 2  = Cooling Water

Sheet Tile 3 = Diagram

When i select the block it only renames the layout with "Chilled Beam"

or if i click "Cooling Water" it will rename the layout "Cooling Water" and so on...it will only read one line of the block.

I need it to read all three lines of the block and rename accordingly. Is there a way to have it rename it by the Tag or Prompt within the block? (fyi most on my blocks will have 5-7 lines of info)

i just tested the text/mtext title and it is working with the new lisp you sent above. Thanks!

Kudos to Kent Cooper, It was really his idea.  šŸ™‚

As for your request, i can think of a couple ways to do that.  easiest way is to use TAG names but it would be specific to a particular block. perhaps a prompt would be better .. we'll see, but it will have to wait till tomorrow .

Cheers

Message 16 of 21
pbejse

I thought about this and made some test codes. I believe the best way to deal with attributes is to use a listbox. That way you can select the strings you want to use as layout name. But only if you select an  attribute.

The TAG reference is a good idea,but i would prefer to make the code generic .

usage:

command: RTT

If selected entity is an attribute this will appear

strings.jpg

HTH

Message 17 of 21
bdcurry

Works Perfect!!!

Thank you all for your work in solving this for me.

Message 18 of 21
oropeza123

how do I apply this in cad 

(DEFUN C:RRT ()

(command "-layout" "rename" "" (vl-filename-base (getvar "dwgname")))
 (princ)
)

Message 19 of 21
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: oropeza123

@oropeza123 wrote:

how do I apply this in cad 

Welcome to these Forums!

Open up a plain-text editor like Notepad, paste the code into it, and Save it to a file with a .LSP filetype ending.

In a drawing, APPLOAD [or its command alias AP], navigate to where you put that file, and Load it.

Type the command name that follows the C: [in this case, RRT] at the Command: prompt.

You might want to add a line in that file, either before or after that command definition, just in case the (vl...) functions are not already loaded up by something else:

(vl-load-com)

There are ways to have it automatically made available in every drawing you open, if you want to do that, to avoid needing to APPLOAD it yourself when you want to use it.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 20 of 21
oropeza123

thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost