Did you mean: 

manipulating field expressions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
thomas_climawest
1222 Views, 5 Replies

manipulating field expressions

Hi,

I'm trying to display the papersize of a layout in a block.

So far I've looked into diesel and field expressions.

With field expressions I can get the name of the papersize to display that's too long(OVERSIZE: ISO A1), I need only the last two letters.

Anyone kwow how to manipulate field expressions?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pbejse
in reply to: thomas_climawest

@thomas_climawest wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to display the papersize of a layout in a block.

So far I've looked into diesel and field expressions.

With field expressions I can get the name of the papersize to display that's too long(OVERSIZE: ISO A1), I need only the last two letters.

Anyone kwow how to manipulate field expressions?

This might be of interest.

Message 3 of 6
thomas_climawest
in reply to: pbejse

thanks for the swift reply sbejse!

however it does not adress my particular problem.

I already have two diesel expressions in my titleblock; one for the title and one for the index which are both mentioned in the drawingname.

It's probably impossible to get the wanted result with a diesel, so maybe there is a way to manipulate the field expression (%<\AcVar PaperSize \f "%tc1">%) that gives me "OVERSIZE: ISO A1".

Message 4 of 6
alanjt_

%<\AcVar ctab \f "%tc1">%

Message 5 of 6
thomas_climawest
in reply to: alanjt_

Hello alanjt, the textfield you're suggesting brings forth the name of the layout which would work if I simply name the layouts to the papersize I'm going to use. Sadly the papersizes are chosen according the size of the part and I use the layoutname through a diesel expression as the title in the titleblock. (drawingname as the projectname) I really thought there would be a way, guess not 😞

Message 6 of 6
gjrcmb

Yeah, after going around with this quite a bit I am not finding a way to extract a substring from the interpreted papersize field expression or some way to use the interpreted field expression to get the output you want.  I tried using Lisp, Diesel, Attributes, Dynamic Blocks, and Custom Properties.  So I think you would either need to change the papersize designation on a project by project basis or each sheet individually.

Not sure what software you are using and whether you use Sheet Set Manager to manage your planset.  If you use Sheet Set Manager, you could set up a Sheet Set Custom Property that gets changed on a project by project basis assuming that all sheets are the same papersize for a given project, and then create a Field in your title block that displays the custom property.

Or if you produce individual plansheets, maybe have a dynamic block with different visibility states that you switch between A0, A1, and A2.

Those are the best options I can come up with, but I am willing to entertain ideas from others.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost