Did you mean: 

invalid or incomplete DXF input - drawing discarded

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
43813 Views, 25 Replies

invalid or incomplete DXF input - drawing discarded

I am getting an error message "invalid or incomplete DXF input - drawing discarded" but there is no extra message on line-error or something like that.

The error only occurs in Autocad 2013 and 2014. There was no problem in versions previous to 2013. Does anyone know what the issue can be.

At the moment I can only resolve it by opening the drawing in an older version and save the DXF as Autocad v12. This makes me wonder if there are commands in the DXF-file that don't exist in Autocad 2013 or 2014.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
artc2
in reply to: Anonymous

The file has corrupt roundtrip data in it and that is causing an error to occur in the code that recomposes the roundtrip data.  This happens after the dxf file has been read in which is why there is no line number information provided.

The reason that the error only occurs in Acad 2013 and 2014 is because the data involved is for a feature that was added in Acad 2013, so any version before that just leaves the roundtrip data as is and the corruption is not noticed.

Message 3 of 26
mid-awe
in reply to: artc2

May I ask what method you used to diagnose the issue? I opened the dxf with notepad++ and found a reference to a tif file I wonder if this is the point of corruption.
Message 4 of 26
artc2
in reply to: mid-awe

I used a debug build of AutoCAD which has asserts throughout the code.  One of the asserts was triggered in the recompose code when it was processing your dxf file.

The corruption was in the decomposed AcDs data.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous

Is the decomposed AcDs data the data on line 15642 when I open the file in Notepad++.

Should I delete that part or could there be another solution.

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous

I deleted the lines beneath this comment with AcDsDecomposeData information and then I could open the DXF-file.

AcDsDecomposeData

Is it possible to prevent AutoCad 2013 or 2014 from adding these lines to a DXF-file, when it creates DXF-files, because the file gets corrupted when I open and save the DXF-file in an older version or in another type of software.

Message 7 of 26
artc2

Removing those lines removed the ownership link for the AcDsData which, luckily, is enough to prevent the recompose.  The actual AcDs recompose data is still there in the dxf file and would take a lot more work to fully extract.

There is no way to prevent the creation of the AcDs roundtrip data.  Opening and saving the dxf file in an older version of Acad shouldn't cause the data to be corrupted.  If you can reliably reproduce this, then I would appreciate it if you could send me the original uncorrupted file as well as steps to follow to reproduce the corruption so that I can investigate what's going on.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous

It is difficult to reproduse, because the alteration is made with software different from Autodesk.

The problem occurs when a DXF is saved by Autocad 2013 or newer and later adjusted by another software.

Afterwards the DXF gets corrupted for Autocad 2013 or newer. It can be opened with version 2012 and older, but only saving it in R12 or R14 format makes it usable in Autocad 2013 or newer, due to the fact that in these old versions of DXF-format almost no commands are available.

Message 9 of 26
artc2

If the dxf file is being changed by software that is not Autodesk, then there's no point in my taking a look at it because there's nothing I can do about non-Autodesk software.  🙂

The corruption I saw was a null objectId which would happen if that object were missing from the dxf file.  So, perhaps the other software is removing something that it shouldn't.

Message 10 of 26
Anonymous

At least, thank you for your efforts. I now know where the problem is situated and now I am able to make the file use-able again.
Message 11 of 26
doyensr

Can these files be repaired as well? They are giving me the same issue.

Message 12 of 26
cadffm
in reply to: doyensr

Please attach your sample file.

Go to https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/invalid-or-incomplete-dxf-input-draw... and log in, there you can attach your file(s)

- Sebastian -
Message 13 of 26
froese9DGYA
in reply to: cadffm

could you check this file for me please? is there some way to get details about file errors myself?

Message 14 of 26
cadffm
in reply to: froese9DGYA

Which file?

- Sebastian -
Message 15 of 26
cadffm

@cadffm  schrieb:

Please attach your sample file.

Go to https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/invalid-or-incomplete-dxf-input-draw... and log in, there you can attach your file(s)

- Sebastian -
Message 16 of 26
froese9DGYA

i thought I did, trying again...

if it still does not work, her is another way:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fPcFzZOG60Fdd7Zbw83roQJFzER79s2C/view?usp=sharing

Message 17 of 26
cadffm

re-send

Viel Spaß damit : https://a360.co/2Qwbo6x

- Sebastian -
Message 18 of 26
froese9DGYA

i´m sorry, what do you mean? do neither the goodle drive link nor the zip file work? when I open it in dwg trueview 2019, the viewer freezes.

Message 19 of 26
cadffm

Please!?

Idf you follow my link you come to A360, upper right corner you can use the DOWNLOAD Button

to get the file "error_CADffm1.dxf". You can open this file with AutoCAD2013-2020 and by DWG TrueView.

(an 1000 more programs)

What is your problem now, Which step, which software?! Sorry, i don't understand.

- Sebastian -
Message 20 of 26
froese9DGYA

ah yes, i did not see the link at first, thank you very much!!

my problem is that i generate these files with my own app and I would like to know what error my app made? is there a way to debug my files? this one is the first that did not work, dozens of others worked fine and I do not know why?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost