Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert old autocad dwg to new version with thumbnail preview

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2313 Views, 5 Replies

convert old autocad dwg to new version with thumbnail preview

I have many autocad drawings 5000+ created with old version 2000. I would like to see the thumbsnail preview when show in the folders, is there a script I can use to open, save and close the files all at once? I tried with the standard script open *.dwg, qsave, close but did'n work, maybe this cannot be done with a script? Any clever idea?

thanks

Tom

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Look into Trueview from AutoDESK.  It's a free download to convert drawings from one format to another.  Easy to use.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

many thanks for the quick and useful answer. It works smoothly but you need to select the files inside the working folder. Assuming you have files spread over 1000+ folders, I don't want to go and select each folder for conversion, say is there any work around if you want to conver all the autocad file in your hard drive which are stored under different directories?

thanks

Tom

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

A script then would be the way to go.  I know you said you tried but no go.  You just don't have it written in the proper syntax.  I haven't written a script like this in a long time and I don't think I would be much help at this time.  I know this has been asked before so you could do a search on this forum to see what you could find. 

I would personally convert as I go with the folders I need.  No need to convert every drawing if it is not needed but you know your requirements and that decision is up to you.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

thanks. I found this useful thread

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Visual-LISP-AutoLISP-and-General/Question-processing-files-in-multiple...

the problem is that need to list all the files, then create a script, and might take long time, I was hoping that "open *.dwg" did the trick but you need to specify the file name and path, I have the files stored in 50+ dvd and it will take ages!

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Tom, I found something else but to me it seems almost the same thing as TrueVIEW.  I found a post that said ScriptPro could do this.  It is also a free download from AutoDESK.  You could try it and see which one you like better.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost