Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert nested xref to regular xref

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cosmo12
666 Views, 4 Replies

convert nested xref to regular xref

anyone know of a routine or way to convert a nested xref to a regular xref?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
gccdaemon
in reply to: cosmo12

By nested do you mean "Bound", "Inserted", "Attached", or "Overlayed" ?

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 3 of 5
cosmo12
in reply to: gccdaemon

We have sheet files with attached xrefs inside xrefs. Its causing problems when we are trying to bind. I'm wondering if there is a way to programmatically step through each sheet file detach all xrefs and reinsert them unnested

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman

You would need to modify *all* of the nested XREFs to either remove those XREFs or covert them to overlay first.  But you might want to generate a list of loaded XREFs in the top-most drawing first before you get there.  By the time you get all this done it might have been faster to manually update the source XREFs.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
gccdaemon

I like to keep a tight ship when it comes to x-refs, so you can preset the XREFTYPE variable to 1 on load. This sets overlay as default, but if someone changes it to attachement during xref creation, then it will set it back to 0. That's why it's important to keep it as a "Load on start". If you don't know how to do this (I don't but it's got something to do with acaddoc.lsp), someone here should be able to help. This variable is stored in the users profile in the registry and in the .ARG file.

As for changing the existing x-res you can use the CLASSICXREF command and double click the x-ref to change it from attachment to overlay and vice-versa.

Here is what you really need for updating existing DWG files. Look under your program folder for the REFERENCE MANAGER.

ref manager.png

You will be able to edit the type of xref in a file from here.

xref overlay.png

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost