Did you mean: 

VLide Stability with 2013 AutoCAD

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mdhutchinson
536 Views, 7 Replies

VLide Stability with 2013 AutoCAD

In this case it is AutoCAD MEP 2013...

over the last couple releases I've been seeing increased issues with VLide user interface. Icons, comming up different colors with every AutoCAD session.

I know that Autodesk is not supporting, or perhaps more correctly not improving Vlisp.

Is anyone else seeing issues? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Rtogores
in reply to: mdhutchinson

It seems to me this usually happens. Don't know if it's intentional. Thought it was...

Message 3 of 8

Running on AcadM 2012, the colors mix up occasionally, but not often enough to really bother.

What I find more problematic is moving the control between VLIDE and the AutoCAD window: quite often I get the situation where neither responds until I alt-tab elsewhere and back.

--

Message 4 of 8
hgasty1001
in reply to: mdhutchinson

Hi,

It happens all the time in all version of AutoCAD since ever, VL IDE has almost 15 years without changes, do you know of other multi thousand $ software with that "feature"?

What we need is a modern IDE with a capable editor, even freeware editors has a better interface and tools with tabbed docs, go to function definition, find all references, not to mention VS intellisense.

Gaston Nunez

Message 5 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: hgasty1001

Freeware text editors don't let you step through code or set breakpoints to stop and examine status.  And how much money do you think MS spends on Visual Studio development?  They can recoup that through the licensing costs for the upgraded versions, unlike the VLIDE.  Or would people shell out additional money for a plug-in upgraded editor?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind an upgraded LISP editor.  But for that to happen it has to be worth the money required to do so.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 8
hgasty1001
in reply to: dgorsman

Hi,

First I'd never say that a freeware editor has a hook to AutoCAD process, just mention some capabilities that a non freeware editor (VL-IDE)  has not.

Second, people pay for anything with 2 conditions:

1.-Need the product or good

2.-Can afford the cost

So, if Autodesk wants to charge something for an upgraded VL-IDE they can do it, there is a very solid base of AutoLisp developers both casual and pro, just let the choise to us.

Gaston Nunez

Message 7 of 8

@hgasty1001 wrote:

What we need is a modern IDE with a capable editor, even freeware editors has a better interface and tools with tabbed docs, go to function definition, find all references, not to mention VS intellisense.

You can get the "capable editor, go to function definition, find all references" part even today with some external tools:

I use the Emacs editor, connected via Slime to a Common Lisp compiler to get the references also for AutoLISP.

- needs a little compatibility package and adding one line to each .lsp file to work

- I use the commercial Lispworks compiler, but the freeware systems like SBCL or Clisp would also work.

- I do all the editing in Emacs, only using VLIDE for loading, compiling and debugging AutoLISP programs.

A little easier, though more limited way would be using Etags in Emacs even without the CL system.

--

Message 8 of 8
martti.halminen
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

Freeware text editors don't let you step through code or set breakpoints to stop and examine status.  And how much money do you think MS spends on Visual Studio development?  They can recoup that through the licensing costs for the upgraded versions, unlike the VLIDE.  Or would people shell out additional money for a plug-in upgraded editor?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind an upgraded LISP editor.  But for that to happen it has to be worth the money required to do so.

Autodesk could produce a better programming environment relatively cheaply by using already-existing free front-ends, just building the internals to connect to the debugger etc.

For professional programmers writing a Slime back-end would be enough: about 80 % of Common Lisp professionals use that.

A more beginner-friendly way would be producing an Eclipse plug-in.

--

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost