Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VBA Server error

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
coopdetat
2540 Views, 12 Replies

VBA Server error

I did more investigating after my post yesterday and have concluded that VBA registration is very likely the culprit causing my crashes.  The activity that causes the crash will only cause the crash if the VBA server has been initialized.  Otherwise, the activity can be completed without any problems.

Yesterday, I opened VBAIDE to see if I would get an error trapped when I crashed.  I am not running any VBA app that I know of but I did get this error when AutoCAD crashed:

x64VBAServer19 (error window title)

"Running in independent mode due to the wrong switch being used for registration/unregistration"

Does anyone know how to fix this registration problem or how to avoid it if I reinstall?

No crash when VBAServer is not loaded: (see attached image)

Crash when VBAServer is loaded: (see attached image)

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------
Civil Design Professional Since 1983 (Intergraph), AutoCAD since 1989

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
nVidia Quadro RTX 4000; AutoCAD Civil 3D 2023.2.1 Update
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Search x64VBAServer:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/u/gsearch/results?siteID=123112&catID=123155&id=2088334&qt=x64V...

There are many issues...

Marc'Antonio Alessi

http://alessi.xoom.it//alessi/Programmi.htm
(vl-string-translate "1234567890" "ie@mst.lan" "499825513610716")
2D Parametric for 2000-2013
Message 3 of 13

I have already done that.  I saw that most complaints are "it makes everything slower" or "has stopped working".  Nobody complains of hard crashes if it is just present but not being used by the app that initiates the crash.  Since this OP I disabled x64VBAServer19.exe w/o uninstalling it using a trick that works for just about anything windows.  I rename the exe and create a folder named the same as the executable.  The presence of the folder prevents autocorrection of the problem as happens for some windows components.  AutoCAD popped up an warning that the VBA server was not installed but everything works okay now.

I use autolisp and DOSLIB functions to do some pathing and file selection and then I issue a vbastmt to open the selected drawing.  This vbastmt is what has been invoking the VBAServer.  Nothing in my custom dialog app uses the VBAServer.  Killing my open method by disabling VBA is not a big loss.

I would still like to know how it can get installed and/or loaded with the wrong switch so that it is in independent mode?

And, how to fix that?

---------------------------------------------Signature--------------------------------------------

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Intel﴾R﴿ Core﴾TM﴿ i9-12900KF CPU 3.19GHz; 32 GB DDR4 4266 Dual Channel RAM
Message 4 of 13

@coopdetat wrote:
I use autolisp and DOSLIB functions to do some pathing and file selection and then I issue a vbastmt to open the selected drawing.  This vbastmt is what has been invoking the VBAServer.  Nothing in my custom dialog app uses the VBAServer.  Killing my open method by disabling VBA is not a big loss.

Me too Autolisp and DosLib, now I avoid VBAstmt and use old script...

Marc'Antonio Alessi

Message 5 of 13

It has now been awhile since I disabled VBAServer on my system and everything has been running well.  I was attempting to create a Zip file from the Sheet Set etransmit method and could not create the zip even though AutoCAD reported that the Zip file was created each time. (I was in danger of proving that I was insane given the many times I did exactly the same thing expecting different results, 8-))

On a hunch I re-enabled VBAServer (undid my folder trick) restarted AutoCAD and ran etransmit again... it created the Zip file.  I had restarted AutoCAD w/o re-enabling VBAServer but that did not change the results  I suppose that etransmit requires VBAServer.  If I start crashing again I'll disable VBAServer again and see if the crashing stops as it did before.

Message 6 of 13

> ...I suppose that etransmit requires VBAServer....

etransmit do not requires VBAServer.

(tested on AutoCAD 2013 [Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2013])

Marco

Marc'Antonio Alessi

Message 7 of 13

I cannot understand why etransmit failed to create the zip file multiple times and even following a restart but succeeded in creating a zip file only after VBAServer was enabled if it is true that VBAServer has no role in the process

However, VBAServer has no role in my dialog app either but AutoCAD would suffer a hard crash if I used it in a particular drawing and it continued to crash many times even after Audit and Recover w/ xrefs (no problems found)... That is until I disabled VBAServer.  Then AutoCAD suffered no more crashes while using my dialog app.

There must be some connection within the workings of AutoCAD even if it is not "used" in the process.  If not, how can enabling or disabling it change the outcome?

P.S.  The crashing that I experienced with my app that started this thread seemed to "grow".  I had been in the drawing and using my app without problems several times over the past several weeks.  Then it began crashing but only in the one drawing.  Then it began crashing in other drawings of the same project (P&P Sheets, each a separate drawing but with identical xreferences).  None of them showed any problems when using Audit or Recover.  I opened ProcessExplorer and watched the processes and noticed that AutoCAD would start the VBAServer when I started my app.  I killed VBAServer in ProcessExplorer but saw no change.  AutoCAD still crashed.  Something associated with the starting of the VBAServer that survived killing the process appears to be in play (perhaps a variable or subroutine).  After I disabled VBAServer so that it could not start the crashing ceased.  VBAServer is definitely invloved whether or not it is actively causing the crash or the non-creation of the zip from etransmit.

P.P.S

I used the etransmit from the SheetSet interface in AutoCAD C3D 2013.  I'm not sure whether that makes a difference. Maybe this problem is also associated with AutoCAD C3D 2013 and not other AutoCAD versions.

Message 8 of 13

read my message (and others):

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/NET/VBASTMT-in-AutoCAD-2010-11/td-p/2795148

So if I load VBA (x64VBAServer.exe) on 64 bit *everything* runs 6-8x slower,
including AutoCAD commands! It is much true particularly if you
must use many commands inside of a Lisp function.
Then I need to close AutoCAD to restore previous speed.

Marc'Antonio Alessi

Message 9 of 13

I believe you, I just don't use VBAServer at all now.  As I said earlier, the only thing I ever did use it for was through lisp with one vbastmt to open a drawing.  It was not in use (at least not by my calling it) when I experienced these crashes.

I re-enabled VBAServer since then and that fixed a problem with etransmit from within a Sheet Set.  I have no clue why that worked but it did.

I crashed today after much editing of a C3D surface.  VBAServer was enabled during this crash but I don't know if it was running.  I neglegted to check that or else I don't remember if I did (getting old sucks).  I looked at my ProcessExplorer and noticed a large spike in CPU and I/O bits about the time I crashed.  The spike was by Windows Defender.  So, I disabled Windows Defender and Windows Firewall and restarted my system.  I did not crash again.  After that I had to go to the P&P Sheet that had consistently been crashing with my dialog app.  I specifically had to exercise the app and there was no crash.  Notably, unlike before, VBAServer was not initialized when I started my app; however, according to ProcessExplorer, AEC32BitAppServer57.exe was initialized in its place!?  This result seems to have been effected by the disabling of Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.  Perhaps these things don't play well with AutoCAD C3D and they are the true culprit in all of this.  My lisp routines are running much faster as is AutoCAD C3D in general.  I hope this result lasts a very long time!

Message 10 of 13
coopdetat
in reply to: coopdetat

Well, I had to etransmit again today but my x64VBAServer19.exe was disabled (I disabled it again because I had another hard crash as I have already discussed).  The SheetSet initiated etransmit again failed to create a Zip file.  This time I checked and the command line initiated etransmit did create a Zip file.  I enabled x64VBAServer19.exe and was again able to create a Zip file using SheetSet initiated etransmit.

Before I did that I thought I'd try to start x64VBAServer19.exe myself.  It produced the original error I quoted in my OP.  I trtied again using doslib's (DOS_EXECUTE <path>x64VBAServer19.exe) so it would strat from inside AutoCAD.  I still got the error but strangely the process that showed up in Process Explorer was AEC32BitAppServer57.exe.

It would sure help my if Autodesk could tell me what is wrong with my x64VBAServer19.exe and how rto fix it.

Message 11 of 13

have you tried to uninstall VBA?

Marc'Antonio Alessi

Message 12 of 13

I uninstalled VBA enabler and reinstalled it using autocad_2013_sp1.1_acvbainstaller_english_win_64bit.exe.  It still installed it in C:\Programs Files (x86)\ instead of C:\Program Files\ which is puzzling.

That was a few days ago.  Today, I crashed as I described in my OP.  x64VBAServer19.exe was running again.  I've disabled it as before but this time I'm leaving Ac32BitAppServer.exe and Ac32BitAppServer.dll in place.  Before I had moved them into the folder named "x64VBAAServer19.exe" along with the renamed x64VBAAServer19.exe because they were all in the parent folder name "VBAServer".  Perhaps this will fix the crashing and still allow etransmit to create the Zip file.  I'll check that and post the results.

Message 13 of 13
coopdetat
in reply to: coopdetat

I was able to create the Zip file. Smiley Happy

Recap: with x64VBAServer19.exe disabled I had not been able to do this from the SheetSet interface.

Leaving Ac32BitAppServer.exe and Ac32BitAppServer.dll in the VBAServer folder and only removing x64VBAServer19.exe seems to have solved the no-Zip problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost