Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Dumpshx.exe Utility

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jkwilliams
2213 Views, 4 Replies

Use of Dumpshx.exe Utility

I am trying to customise a font file, and wish to use "Dumpshx.exe" to convert an shx file to an shp file.

It seems the  "Dumpshx.exe" has issues and carshes each time I attempt this.

Anyone have experience with this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
paula.rattray
in reply to: jkwilliams

Hi there,

This is a bit late to try to help you out, I know, but hoping that it might help anyone that does a search like I did - I found most explanations of how to use the dumpshx.exe command confusing, and the AutoCAD Help on it downright unhelpful.  Being very rusty with DOS, perhaps I was being dim-witted.  But I wanted to know:

1. Where to find the romans.shx file
  2. Where to find the dumpshx.exe file, and
  3. How to make it work

I am using AutoCAD 2014, but I think the locations have not significantly changed (apart from AutoCAD version), so answers are:

1. C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014\Fonts
  2. C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014\Express
  3. This is the awkward one ... You are best off saving the .shx file and dumpshx.exe file somewhere easy to follow a path to, the you have to:
  • Open the Command Prompt from your Windows Start
  • Change the file path (using cd) to where you saved the above files
  • At the Command Prompt type in the command and required files to change (as given by the AutoCAD Help file) - Do Not press 'enter' after typing in the command - this does not work, it must be done all-in-one line from the command prompt.  I have attached a screenshot in case that helps (the actual command is the second line from the bottom, the rest is changing directories and checking the .exe file is there and working).

This took a long time to find out how to do and I still have not begun any customisation.  Why do Autodesk not supply the .shp files?  Or why isn't the decopiler command within AutoCAD?

But the biggest question is WHY haven't they upgraded the ROMANS font to include for a 'cubed' ??  That's the next project for me - something I am sure an IT person would take seconds to do.  Obviously, if anyone can help...

Paula

Message 3 of 5

Oh, and the .SHP file should save in the same directory as the .SHX file
Message 4 of 5

Okay,

If all you are doing is trying to get superscript/subscripts on your ROMANS (or any) font - they have buttons for it in AutoCAD 2015, amazing - I am not this advanced, but you can do superscripts in release 2014 by typing in the no. / letter to be superscripted, the 'hat' sign, then clicking on the 'stack' button (from the ribbon), discussion found here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016/adding-superscript-text-in-autocad-2014-an...

It works.  Why is it not mentioned in AutoCAD help files?  They suggest you revise the .shp file - still can't get the revised one to compile.  I remember a time when AutoCAD Help was actually useful. I know this is just a work-around, Help files say : "Carat (^) creates a tolerance stack, which is stacked vertically and not separated by a line", but still it is a valid method of displaying metres cubed in fonts like ROMANS.

For subscripts, this discussion was useful:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016/subscripts-in-attributes-how-to/m-p/466803...

So to superscript:  for e.g. cu metre type " m3^ ", highlight the last two then select 'Stack' from the 'formatting' toolbar

To Subscript: for e.g. sulphuric acid, type H^2SO^4, highlight the ^and number, and select 'Stack' again.

Paula

Message 5 of 5
jkwilliams
in reply to: paula.rattray

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help and suggestions here. I left this issue a few years ago, but recall now that I ended up using the ISO.shx font file with subscripts and superscripts from the ribbon menu in AutoCAD 2011. These contunue to work now in AutoCAD 2015. But I apppreciate your respnse and information on how dumpshx.exe works.

Best REgards,

Jim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost