Did you mean: 

Locking user into using Ortho

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
thisisme19
381 Views, 5 Replies

Locking user into using Ortho

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a way to permanently disable polar or at lease make it a pain in the **** for someone to use. Like if autocad were to automatically switch to ortho every 10 mins or something?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RStillwell
in reply to: thisisme19

A reactor could be written that would do it.

Not sure why you would want to limit yourself to only drawing with ortho on though.

Message 3 of 6
thisisme19
in reply to: RStillwell

Thanks, I'll look into that. 🙂  

It's not about limiting myself to only drawing in Ortho, it's about discouraging newbies in the office from using polar to draw straight horizontal and vertical lines. I waste plenty of my time trying to drill into their heads that polar should never be used for drawing vertical or horizontal lines as well as having to go into drawings squaring things back up.

It doesn't seem to matter how many times or how many different ways I tell them not to do it, they keep doing it. My frustration has peaked and I'd much rather them take the extra time to do the odd tasks that polar is good for the roundabout way and actually draw proper lines.

I've seen instances where 1 crooked line compounded into having drawings that were off by enough that they caused code and logistic issues.

Obviously there is a broader issue of people not paying enough attention to detail but I'm looking for ways to get them to actually think about what they are doing and paying attention to things without me constantly babysit them. If that means building slowdowns and locking out certain options into their systems than so be it. 

Message 4 of 6
scot-65

Take my advise and leave ORTHO alone.

You will become the enemy of the office if you do.

If anything, disable the polar tracking during program startup.

???

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 5 of 6
thisisme19
in reply to: scot-65

It's not an office wide thing I want to change. It's local to 2 particular fresh outta school, think they know better, pains in my **** that constantly mess up drawings, even after I've shown them what their "drawing skills" have done to the drawings and made them redraw everything. 

Polar tracking I have no problem with and changing that will not get the effect I'm looking for. 

Thanks though. 

Message 6 of 6
Rtogores

Why don't you instruct them in using geometric constraints? This way horizontal IS horizontal and vertica IS vertical!

I have some tips about this in my website:

http://en.togores.net/home/disenoparametrico

Happy New Year!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost