Help with setting option for 1"-30' viewport scale

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mid-awe
7955 Views, 7 Replies

Help with setting option for 1"-30' viewport scale

Hi all,

I need a little help calculation a viewport scale of 1"=30'.

I've looked around and only find nearly what I looking for. For 1"=20' I have a value of 0.004167 Paper Units = 1 Drawing Units, but what is the formula to clculate 1/30"=1'-0"?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: mid-awe

@mid-awe wrote:

.... For 1"=20' I have a value of 0.004167 Paper Units = 1 Drawing Units, but what is the formula to clculate 1/30"=1'-0"?

1/360 [just as that decimal number is 1/240 -- there are 360 inches in 30', or if you prefer, there are 360 thirtieths of an inch in a foot].  If you select a Viewport outline, in the Properties box "Custom scale" slot you can type it in just that way, as a fraction, which will be precise, unlike typing in a number to some number of rounded decimal places.  It will very likely "read" there as 0" afterwards, depending on your Units display settings, but don't let that throw you -- it will operate correctly.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 8
mid-awe
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you Kent. We've recently had conversations about this in the office and I needed to provide a definitive answer.

BTW- it was news to everyone that we could simply enter a fraction. Thank you for the awesome tip. 🙂
Message 4 of 8
Kent1Cooper

@mid-awe wrote:
Thank you Kent. ....

BTW- it was news to everyone that we could simply enter a fraction. Thank you for the awesome tip. 🙂

You're welcome.  And you can enter a fraction, including a number plus@ a fraction with a hyphen separator, just about any place it's looking for a number or a distance -- as an Offset distance, as a coordinate in a Move or Copy displacement, even combined with other formats [e.g. @3-2/3,4.25,0], as a Text height, as a rotation angle, as a scale factor, etc., etc.  A little further discussion is available here, and I'm sure elsewhere.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 8
gccdaemon

Here are a few registry entries for custom scale lists, not sure what version of CAD you're on though. Rename to .REG and double click to add them to the registry.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 6 of 8
mid-awe
in reply to: gccdaemon

Thank you Andrew. That is great.

I'm on 2013.
Message 7 of 8
gccdaemon

These will stay put when you reset the scale list as well. Enjoy!

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 8 of 8
mid-awe
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

This reminds me of the way that Blender works. You can actually type in the math, such as: 1" / 360

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost