Help with Autolisp

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
vivifira
613 Views, 10 Replies

Help with Autolisp

Hi everyone,

I have just recently learned how to use Autolisp and I have a few questions. The first one is that I would like to identify and object like a text field on startup and have a reactor attached to it so when I change the text in the field it will automatically change 1 or more text field else where. I would also like to know if there is a way to target data in a table to achieve this. Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Lee_Mac
in reply to: vivifira

You do not need custom programming to achieve this -

I would suggest using AutoCAD Fields instead - type FIELD at the command-line.

Lee

Message 3 of 11
vivifira
in reply to: Lee_Mac

I've been using fields too, but they are very limited and I need to refresh for every field I create. That's why I've been looking into reactors. I was wondering if reactors could be more efficient. I don't know if I've been using the fields right or how to use the fields syntax either. Thanks for the advice.

Message 4 of 11
dbroad

Other than refresh, what do you want to do that fields won't do?  Otherwise, fields are better than reactors by far.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 11
vivifira
in reply to: dbroad

I'm exploring options for automating tasks for my company. We work with a lot of BOM sheets that we are looking to do this in auto cad instead of excel. I'm also looking to create the easiest path for my coworkers to use. If I can shorten a task one or two clicks of a button it would be best. So that's why I'm learning lisp. Some of the fields I created required me to refresh the drawing as many times as I had fields or as many levels of nested fields I had. It just seemed inefficient.

Message 6 of 11
gccdaemon

What type of CAD are you using? Also, what is your fieldeval system variable set to?

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 7 of 11
vivifira
in reply to: gccdaemon

I'm using full cad 2011 and I don't know what fieldeval is set. Where can I find this.

Message 8 of 11
gccdaemon

Fieldeval is a system variable for which tasks refresh a field. You should set it to 31. You can also change it in your options one bottom left of the "User Preferences" tab.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 9 of 11
vivifira
in reply to: gccdaemon

I checked the fieldeval and it is set to 31.

Message 10 of 11
dbroad

I'm pretty sure you don't want to use reactors.  If you want more ideas post a sample drawing with these nested fields.  The main problem with reactors is that they aren't part of the drawing.  They must be loaded each time the drawing is loaded.  So sharing these drawings would be problematic.  They also require sophisticated programming, something I wouldn't expect of someone who'd just learned lisp.  There are also difficulties with handling undo, and cancellation of actions.

A command to perform n regens might overcome your multiple regen annoyance.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 11 of 11
vivifira
in reply to: dbroad

Thanks guys. I think I'll create a multi regen command. I'll start looking into how to use fields more effectively.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost