Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizers for Hire?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Johnnyb37
716 Views, 6 Replies

Customizers for Hire?

Basically like the title says...  I hate computer programming, I hate the tedious task of figuring out codes and file locations and all that other crap.  I'm sick and tired of trying to learn computer programming.  I have come to believe that I work hard enough during the week, and I don't want to have to figure out how to program custom features on my weekends.  I'm tired of looking at tutorials with the exact information that I need, or APPS that offer the precise service that I need.

I want something that is already made, but I can modify slightly to meet my needs.  What I want isn't crazy or exotic, and I doubt that I'm the first person to think of these things so I know some sort of ready made product is out there that could at least give me a template to start from.  What I want is the following....

1.   I want a customized start up routine, where the program asks me a series of questions, like "What's the Job #?"  Whose the Engineer?  (Drop down tab, pick one)...  What's this project's name?  What sort of plan are you creating (tick boxes [mech] [elec] [plumb] [etc])  I want this startup routine to create a new folder for new projects, open the correct new template for new drawings, and save that drawing automatically by the job# + template name in the folder named "job#+Job Name".  Nothing exotic!
  2. I want this same startup routine to open up a drawing in the specific drawing template, I want it to automatically insert information like the engineer's name and seal, The Job#, the Job Name, the Client etc into our title block automatically.
  3. I want this new drawing template's workspace to be optimized with toolbars, and maybe even a a few custom commands that I will only use in files of the specific type.

I think everyone should want these things!  Why can't I find a "starter file" that I can modify to suit me?  Why is it so hard to find a professional programmer to create the few custom options that I want?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
LouderCAD
in reply to: Johnnyb37

Give Lee Mac a shout: http://www.lee-mac.com/

Message 3 of 7
lgabriel

At the beginning of avery project, I use the custom VB app below to create all of the drawing files for a project automatically

dwggen.jpg

User fills in Project Information (Customer name, Address, System Description, Initials, Date, Customer Number, Project No and Control Cabinet Number.

Then the user selects which drawing types he wants to create, then selects the folder where these drawing files will be created, and then clicks on Create Drawings button. AutoCAD will open and create the desired drawing files automatically (only the first sheet).

The user then opens a drawing files determines how many sheets he/she will need and automatically updates the number of sheets through a AutoLISP program.

Is this kinda of what you are looking for.

Message 4 of 7
scot-65

Is something like this what you are looking for?

This is a WIP that stopped about 2 years ago.

setup01a.png

Or perhaps something like this?

Yup, another WIP that stopped...

PData03a.png

Creating these is not as easy as one might think.

???

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 5 of 7
lgabriel
in reply to: scot-65

Nice work Scot-65. Shame its still a WIP. I know my utility saves me tons of time when I am handling multiple projects. I also created tools for automatic batch drawing revision levels, printing, updating olde drawings to new project numbers automatically.

My father always said, "Work smart, not hard".  And yes, these tools take quite awhile to develop and hone, but the effort is definitely worth it. Once you start developing small and simple programs (AutoLISP,DCL, VB ), they become the backbone of more sophitcated programs and tools.

Message 6 of 7
Johnnyb37

Scott, loved the second one. I work for a very small firm. So there has to be a simple way.
Message 7 of 7
jy_guillevic

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost