Did you mean: 

Batch convert DGN to DWG

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
arulanand12
40186 Views, 37 Replies

Batch convert DGN to DWG

Hi All,

My work needs to convert thousands of DGN files to DWG. We are using AutoCAD 2012. Is it possible to batch convert dgn files with a LISP and a mapping file? Anyone have a LISP for this?

Any help is appreciated.

Arul

37 REPLIES 37
Message 21 of 38
mmoolhuysen
in reply to: ddotten

I suspect that the action of opening a new drawing stops the execution of the lisp routine in the original drawing unttil the focus is returned to the original drawing. This is the reason I use a different mode for DGNIMPORT in AutoCAD 2012. I think that I'm not able to find a solution for AutoCAD version 2011.

Message 22 of 38
mm.moni007
in reply to: mmoolhuysen

first thankx sir

i try this tool in autocad 2012 but it is not working sir,some option is comming (Enter filename for DGN import:)

i need thiis lisp ,so plse reply send me my mail ,what iam do,

thanking you sir

mohan

(mm4803@gmail.com)

Message 23 of 38
OzzNick
in reply to: huaer605

This one work but is not exact a better program is needed.

Message 24 of 38
vladimir.ninic
in reply to: OzzNick

I've managed to batch convert multiple DGN files using 3rd party software.

After, I've written my lisp

(command "-mapimport" "DGN_V7_V8" nn3 "Y" "c:\\hatch.ipf" "I" "yes" "")

and tested it on one DGN

i've bought and installed this:

http://www.cadfx.com/batchscr/

and applyed my lisp on bunch of empty DWG files named as DGN files so when using DWGNAME variable i managed to import dgn...

Message 25 of 38
jxlee
in reply to: mmoolhuysen

I updated the paths for tx1, tx2 and tx3. I left tx4 as "default". When I tried running the lsp, I got the error msg:

Command: DGNI

; error: bad argument type: FILE nil

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!!

Message 26 of 38
assu_1978
in reply to: arulanand12

Thanks for the lisp it is very useful

Asadhullah

Message 27 of 38
Chanschans
in reply to: arulanand12

there is a nice tool for this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvBiFTWx_8I

Message 28 of 38
stevtam
in reply to: lgabriel

Dear Sir, I found your message dated 27/11/2014 but I don't know how to contact you and send the dgn file to you?! Pl help! Thx!

Message 29 of 38
godsbug
in reply to: jxlee

I am having the same problems as jxlee. Is there a solution to this?
Message 30 of 38
godsbug
in reply to: godsbug

I've figured out a solution to my question. My UNDO function is messed up so I had to come up with a workaround. I am a LISP newbie so this isn't pretty or refined, but it works for me. I am using AutoCAD Design Suite 2015. It is unfair to add my name to M. Moolhuysen's work, but if it doesn't work then it isn't right to blame him, so you can blame me. The good parts belong to Moolhuysen.
Message 31 of 38
godsbug

;* DGN_batch_modified.LSP - Converts a list of Microstation *.dgn drawings into AutoCAD *.dwg drawings
;                  Start command by typing DGNI
;
;                  Make the necessary adjustments to the following variables:
;                  ---------------------------------------------------------
;                  tx1 = path and name of a file that holds a list with names for all the *.dgn's to be imported,
;                        names of *.dgn drawings may be written without extension, as well as with extension,
;                        in plain text format, no return after the last line.
;                  tx2 = the path for the input folder, containing the actual *.dgn files to import.
;                  tx3 = the path for the output folder, where the drawings converted into *.dwg will be saved,
;                        (routine assumes that the *.dwg files do not exist yet)
;                  tx4 = name of the drawing model to import
;
;
;                  The routine reads drawing names from the file given in tx1 line-for-line.
;                  In each loop it performs a DGNIMPORT from the folder given as tx2 into the existing AutoCAD drawing,
;                  does a Zoom Extends, saves the converted drawing result as *.dwg in the folder given as tx3,
;                  and finally restores the drawing to its original state, ready to receive the next DGNIMPORT loop.
;
;                  The DELAY command for 1000 milliseconds (1 second) is needed to provide sufficient separation
;                  between the DGNIMPORT and SAVEAS processes (otherwise it starts to mix up drawings).
;
;                  The DGNIMPORT command trips when the name of the *.dgn to be imported contains a comma,
;                  I advise to rename drawings having this issue.
;
;                  Written by M. Moolhuysen. Modified by C. Matthews
;
;                  This software may not be sold as commercial product or included as part of a commercial product.

(defun C:DGNI (/ fil tx1 tx2 tx3 tx4 tx5)
  (setq tx1 "C:\\Users\\yourname\\Desktop\\Batch_Folder\\files.txt"            ;; example variable: file holding a list of *.dgn's names to be imported.
        tx2 "C:\\Users\\yourname\\Desktop\\Batch_Folder\\Input_Folder\\"       ;; example variable: input folder.
        tx3 "C:\\Users\\yourname\\Desktop\\Batch_Folder\\Output_FOlder\\"      ;; example variable: output folder.
        tx4 "Default"                                                          ;; example variable: drawing model name
  )
  (setvar "DGNIMPORTMODE" 1)
  (setq fil (open tx1 "r")
        tx5 (read-line fil))         ; repeats program until all lines from the list with *.dgn drawing names are read.
  (while tx5                         ; strips an extension with length of 3 characters from the drawing name, if present.
    (if (wcmatch tx5 "*`.???")
      (setq tx5 (substr tx5 1 (- (strlen tx5) 4)))
    )
    (command "_UNDO" "_MARK"
             "_-DGNIMPORT" (strcat tx2 tx5) tx4 "" ""
             "_ZOOM" "_E"
             "._DELAY" 500
             "_SAVEAS" "2007(LT2007)" (strcat tx3 tx5)	 
    )
	(command "_ERASE" "ALL" "")                ;erases everything on the page after the save
	(command "_.purge" "_all" "" "_no")        ;purges everything so you don't carry it over to the next drawing
	(command "_.purge" "_regapp" "" "_no")
	(command "_QNEW")                          ;opens a new drawing
    (setq tx5 (read-line fil))
  )
   (close fil)
  (command "_QUIT" "_Y")
  (princ)
)

Message 32 of 38
Nel_Zelpher

what we need is a link with a folder that contains all the elements needed for this usful tool.  compleate with read me instructions, so people only need to coppy the file locations in properties and the use find replace in note pad, to modify the lisp.

also instructions on how to quickly jenerate that first list with the names, otherwise we spend only a little more time creating the lisp than we would other wise spend doing it manualy

you know... for the neafights

Message 33 of 38
godsbug
in reply to: Nel_Zelpher

I can only help with the last part of your question. To make the .txt file is kind of convoluted, but here goes: 1. Type CMD in start window 2. cd to the folder you want to output ie cd c:\files 3. then dir > c:\users\"yourname"\files.txt That creates a file. You will then need Excel to copy out only the parts you need since there will be many columns. To separate out the text into individual text boxes in Excel: 1. Open Excel 2. Click on the Data tab 3. Select "From Text" 4. Choose the file and select "Fixed" and it should size correctly. You may need to move where it divides the data. That gets you all the file names in a column. Select the column and copy and then paste into a .txt file and you are good to go.
Message 34 of 38

I just wanted to say this change you made helped me out a lot.  Before I could only do one conversion at a time which was a pain.. It kept asking me if i wanted to undo all y or n.  Also, an easy way to get the files you want is to go to cmd ( command prompt) , go to the directory you are needing to be in with the cd c:\"directory name" and type dir /b/n > filename.txt this clears all the dates and stuff off and only list the files.  I know this post is old but it has saved me so much time I wanted to say thank you! to both of you for making this conversion lisp.

Message 35 of 38

In the attachment version allowing you to select input and output folder.

Message 36 of 38

From the old DOS era:

cd c:\data\acad\blocks\verbindingsartikelen >>>>>>>>> Change to the top subdir of your DNG files. 
dir *.dng /s /b > c:\data\acad\dnglst.txt >>>>>>>>>>> Change where you want to store your TXT file

Save above lines to a file called DirLST.bat in a convenient place. Once prepared double click on DirLST.bat from Explorer. It will create the file dnglst.txt , which is immediately usable in the conversion lsp, containing all *DNG files complete with pathnames down to all subdirectories below the original 

Message 37 of 38
aaron.mcphee
in reply to: ddotten

Cannot seem to get working.  I am sure I am doing something wrong.   Please advise.

Running the lsp.  Auto cad opens and the select file window comes up to the last location where files were opened from. 

No DGNIMPORT window, just the above.

I can run DGNIMPORT directly from command line and import one file at a time with no issue. 

I have placed the below LSP and place it in c:\programdata\audodesk

I have built two folders in the same location:  Dgn-input and Dwg-output

I have placed all DGN's that I want to convert into the Dgn-input folder

I have made a flat text file of DGN files and saved it as Dgn-names in c:\programdata\audodesk

I can save each imported file to DWG.

I cannot select multiple DGN's within Acad.

;DGNIMPORT.LSP - Converts a list of Microstation *.dgn drawings into AutoCAD *.dOpen File Capture.PNGDGN Folders and name file.PNGdwg output foler.PNGDgn-names.PNGwg drawings
; Start command by typing DGNI
;
; Make the necessary adjustments to the following variables:
; ---------------------------------------------------------
; tx1 = path and name of a file that holds a list with names for all the *.dgn's to be imported,
; names of *.dgn drawings may be written without extension, as well as with extension,
; in plain text format, Do NOT have a return after the last line.
; tx2 = the path for the input folder, containing the actual *.dgn files to import.
; tx3 = the path for the output folder, where the drawings converted into *.dwg will be saved,
; (routine assumes that the *.dwg files do not exist yet)
; tx4 = name of the drawing model to import
;
;
; The routine reads drawing names from the file given in tx1 line-for-line.
; In each loop it performs a DGNIMPORT from the folder given as tx2 into the existing AutoCAD drawing,
; does a Zoom Extends, saves the converted drawing result as *.dwg in the folder given as tx3,
; and finally restores the drawing to its original state, ready to receive the next DGNIMPORT loop.
;
; The DELAY command for 1000 milliseconds (1 second) is needed to provide sufficient separation
; between the DGNIMPORT and SAVEAS processes (otherwise it starts to mix up drawings).
;
; The DGNIMPORT command trips when the name of the *.dgn to be imported contains a comma,
; I advise to rename drawings having this issue.
;

(defun C:DGNI (/ fil tx1 tx2 tx3 tx4 tx5)
(setq tx1 "C:\\ProgramData\Autodesk\Dgn-names.txt" ; example variable: file holding a list of *.dgn's names to be imported.
setq tx2 "C:\\ProgramData\Autodesk\Dgn-input"\ ; example variable: input folder.
setq tx3 "C:\\ProgramData\Autodesk\Dwg-output"\ ; example variable: output folder.
setq tx4 "Default" ; example variable: drawing model name )

(setvar "DGNIMPORTMODE" 1)
(setq fil (open tx1 "r") tx5 (read-line fil)) ; repeats program until all lines from the list with *.dgn drawing names are read.(while tx5 strips an extension with length of 3 characters from the drawing name, if present.

(if (wcmatch tx5 "*`.???")
(setq tx5 (substr tx5 1 (- (strlen tx5) 4))))

(command "_UNDO" "_MARK" "_-DGNIMPORT" (strcat tx2 tx5)tx4 "" ""
"_ZOOM" "_E"
"._DELAY" 1000
"_SAVEAS" "2007(LT2007)" (strcat tx3 tx5)
"_UNDO" "_BACK")
(setq tx5 (read-line fil)))
(close fil)
(command "_QUIT" "_Y")
(princ))

Message 38 of 38
vicente_albu
in reply to: lgabriel

Hi Gabriel. Can you write this batch lisp? The DGN is not supported by this chat. Can you catch the file in my Drive?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IfRTG9qQYfqFWHDqqaOxrTPHmfyXQo3M/view?usp=share_link

Many thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost