VBA
Discuss AutoCAD ActiveX and VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) questions here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of process AutoCAD running slow

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
690 Views, 2 Replies

Out of process AutoCAD running slow

NOTE: reposted from AutoCAD 2013/2014 forum.

I have a VBA (from Access) application that currently runs in Windows XP and Microsoft Access 2003 and AutoCAD 2009.  It opens AutoCAD via:

Dim acadApp As AcadApplication
Set acadApp = CreateObject("AutoCAD.Application")

In the current environment I open a DWG, process it, and close it.  It typically runs at 50-60% CPU utilization (both Access and AutoCAD) on a dual processor system.

I now have Windows 7 (32 bit), Access 2010 (32 bit), AutoCAD 2014 (32 bit).  It runs around 3-4% CPU utilization (both Access and AutoCAD) on a quad processor system.  It takes approximately 10x longer to process in the new environment.  However, it does eventually complete.

XP machine is laptop Dell Latitude D630.  Dual Core 777 MHz, 2 GB of RAM.

Win 7 machine is laptop Dell Latitude E6430.  Intel i5-3230M Quad Core 2.5GHz, 4 GB RAM.

Both are 32 bit OS.

The machine that is much faster, running AutoCAD 2014, is much slower running my application.

The issue I'm wondering about is why the Win 7/Access 2010 & AutoCAD 2014 CPU utilitzation is around 5%, with the rest (95%) idle?  I checked task manager.  It showed the priority as Normal.  I changed them to High, but still they ran no faster.

Any ideas what may be slowing it down?  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

the processor might be faster, but maybe the access to harddisk-saved or network-saved files are slower than before? E.g. what Antivirus-software do you have ... and have you tried to disable it during the tests? If network-saved ... have you tied to place the files on your local drive?

If you look to the task-manager: you can activate an option to see the kernel-times in another color (red) ... if you now let your app do the work, is the processor showing the processor usage as green bar (application) or as red bar (kernel-time)?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for your reply.  The problem seems to be related to security.  My access to the Windows/temp directory was restricted.  I use this directory to temporary hold files for process.  Once this restriction was removed it processed quickly.  Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost