Visual Basic Customization

cbolwerk
Message 1 of 2 (175 Views)

AutoCAD as DDE client

175 Views, 1 Replies
02-15-2004 06:20 AM
I am trying to figure out if I can use AutoCAD as a DDE client.

What I would like to be able to do is to dynamically change the color of valves, piping, etc. on a P&ID drawing. I could do this through Excel, but the "originating" program is a DDE server (technically, an OPC server) and would prefer to do it direct. In Excel, all I have to do is to refer to the server, topic name, and tag name, and any time the value changes, the Excel cell is updated (either a 1 or a 0). I would like to be able to do this with AutoCAD. If the value changes to a 1, change the color of the valve to green. If it is 0, change the color to red.

Is this at all possible? I have looked in the discussion groups and don't see anything exactly like I am looking for. Also, seems that there is some question as to whether the latest versions of AutoCAD support DDE anymore?

Thanks!
gte383f
Message 2 of 2 (154 Views)

Re: AutoCAD as DDE client

02-07-2012 04:07 PM in reply to: cbolwerk

This is a little late, but... I'm trying something similar.  Connecting Inventor models to an OPC server to actually watch armatures move.  I'm assuming this entails A: building what interface I need of an OPC client, and B: figuring out the API enough to manipulate the constraints and animation functions.

Incredibly new to AutoDesk.  Looking for any direction to go so I don't have to reinvent the wheel (should it already be invented for me in part)

thx,

Jonathan

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community