Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

improved "manage ownership" functionality

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Mark_Wigan
412 Views, 3 Replies

improved "manage ownership" functionality

i think that there is an opportunity to improve the functionality of "manage ownership" tools, when in a replicated environment.

for example, i am in the process of deleting a dwf file that is associated / linked to an inventor file. i see that during the delete process, that i cannot complete the task because of error (something like)  "cannot complete task ownership is not assigned to your workgroup".

now, we stop what we were doing, navigate to the file location (if you are not working in the folder eg working from a search result folder). take ownership of the file, or in my case, the folder that the file resides in. then navigate back to the original task (run an advanced search for particular file and resume the delete process.

idea: allow "manage ownership" functionality from within the context of the original scenario. eg, i see the task "cannot be completed due to vaulting restrictions / ownership is not currently assigned to your workgroup" ... so, let the user choose "attempt to take ownership of file or parent folder" at the time while they are in the process of another task.

note that part of this functionality could also be applied to another area of vault; eg whether in a "Search Results" page, or in view "Job Queue" display, allow multiple file selection to be part of a similar "manage ownership" functionality, and allow the functionality to be extended to manage the parent folder(s) of the files that are currently selected.

i think that if some consideration is given to this then with some development we could achieve a practical and improved result.

(please note that this is written with reference to vault collaboration 2012. i cannot say whether these things are already available in 2014)

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Labels (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ihayesjr
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Hi Mark, Thank you for submitting this idea. We have already improved ownership management starting in 2013 which may address this request. I am going to switch this request to Solution Provided. After you upgrade and have a chance to see the improvements, let us know if it still doesn't address your requests. Thanks.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 4
steveh1

Mark...

We just upgraded from 2012 to 2014. Anticipate a dramatic improvement. Will attempt to let you know how things go.

Inventor---Vault Professional
Message 4 of 4
Mark_Wigan

thanks guys great to hear!

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report