Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Client: Permissions per user for document access

Web Client: Permissions per user for document access

What would be a great option, is to have permissions per user with the Web Client.

Based on these new permissions, certain users can or can not 'download' the document from the web client.

If they don't have permission to download, then they can only view the DWFx of the 'design file'.

If they do have this permission, the 'download' option is available.

10 Comments
tzoldos
Community Visitor

Uncontrolled copies of drawings can be a dangerous thing.

bboyles
Community Visitor

This is a critical issue that has plagued us in the past with wrong information being submitted in the field during installation. This is something we would really like to see implemented.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted
How would you setting this on and individual basis? Keep in mind that currently you can only set permissions in the thick client and the common procedure is setting rules/permissions at the group level and not the user level.
kwilson_design
Collaborator

I could see how this would be a nice option for an admin to have for some users and their companies.

However our issue is a little different in that we don't want ANYONE to have the ability to download native AutoCAD or Inventor files or drawings but to only be able to download a DWF or DWFX file. This is one of the many reasons why we do not use the new Thin Web client even though we are on 2014 Sub Release 1.

As for how to implement it I really wished the web client permissions were better. right now it's very crude and doesn't allow for a lot of customization or tweaking to make it a perfect solution. Perhaps ditching the permisions there and bringing over the actual Vault user and group permissions would allow for much greater flexibility and custom tailoring to any companies needs. I don't even know if that's possible but if there's a will there's a way right? Right now, and from the beginning really, there has been little you can do to control permissions or access of data unless its file property data (text). I think Autodesk could do much better in the 'behind the scene' control for us admins. It has needed an overhaul for quite some time but that's a thread best suited outside the Idea Station I guess.

john.laidler
Advisor

Maybe not set permissions on an 'individual' basis, but utilize groups.  Have to different groups pre-set, one would have the permissions to download and the other not.  If not groups, add the two below 'permissions' to Vault.

• Web Client Design File Access Granted
  • Web Client Design File Access Denied

john.laidler
Advisor

2014-04-22_9-14-33.jpg

john.laidler
Advisor

If permissions/group based is not an option, have a setting in the thin client to allow web client design file access.

2014-04-22_9-24-58.jpg

ihayesjr
Community Manager

When does a web client user need access to the actual design file?

john.laidler
Advisor

It depends on the user.  Some may have permisisons to see the 'design file', others may not.

Another option would be to control this access via the 'document category' or with the 'document lifecycle state'.

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This is implemented in Vault 2021. For more info on Vault 2021 What's new please refer this page - What's New in Vault 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report