Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault file hyperlink

Vault file hyperlink

When drawings are completed and loaded into the Vault, I copy hyperlinks of the files and email the links to other engineers to review.   When the link is clicked, it alwasy open a new Vault program even though the Vault program is already open and running.  Is it possible to just open one Vault without opening mulitples?

Thanks

20 Comments
MiWaNiZa
Advocate

And, please, modify links to be as short as possible for cyrillic names.

I think, it's not usefull to keep 380-symbols hyperlink (as a rule). I can't place it in text, hyperlink, or even MEMO filed of SharePoint.

http://srv:8080/AutodeskDM/Services/EntityDataCommandRequest.aspx?Vault=ThisOneVault&ObjectId=%24%2f%d0%9f%d1%80%d0%be%d0%b5%d0%ba%d1%82%d1%8b%2fDX+AE+00-122%2f%d0%9a%d0%be%d0%bd%d1%81%d1%82%d1%80%d1%83%d0%b8%d1%80%d0%be%d0%b2%d0%b0%d0%bd%d0%b8%d0%b5%2f%d0%a7%d0%b5%d1%80%d1%82%d0%b5%d0%b6%d0%b8%2f%d0%a0%d0%b0%d0%bc%d1%8b%2fC111027-050.12.100.dwg&ObjectType=File&Command=Select 

gradcliffe
Advocate

Hyperlinks would be great if they worked as gabriel.kim is requesting.  Opening a new VE window with every click is just wrong.  It's the ONLY reason we don't use hyperlinks here.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

jeamy.baena
Advocate

I totally agree with this request!

iqbal_lotey
Enthusiast

this is one of those things that makes you shake your head....  what were the developers thinking?  This request seems so simple - why has it been two years and yet no implementation?

katterbauer
Enthusiast

Hi,

the possibility to generate a hyperlink to an element from Vault is a good idea especially when it comes to integration 3rd party systems like an ERP system.

Unfortunately using/clicking the link always opens a new session of Vault. This is extremely annoying for the user and time consuming.

Idea is to give the link feature more intelligence to respect an open session from Vault and use this open session.

Thanks,

klaus

scottmoyse
Mentor

DEFINITELY!!! It's truly bonkers that it opens a new instance each and everytime.

Markus.Koechl
Autodesk

I agree for the Explorer. And I appreciate that we this is already solved for ThinClient links. Once the user is logged on, this session/tab is used to open the link.

dvsmiller9
Advocate

Absolutely! This annoys my end users to no end.

McSwiller
Advocate

When using "File->Send->Send Link"from Vault, the resulting links should only open an instance of Vault client if one isn't open already. (This should be for any Vault links for that matter) It's quite annoying when we send a transmittal, and each and every link in the message results in another client instance opening up for whoever receives the message - it doesn't reflect well on the product either. (We are using 2015 R2, and it still behaves in this manner)

josh.hippen2EZG5
Participant
I can't believe there is not a fix for this, do most Vault customers not use change orders?
scottmoyse
Mentor
Probably not, they are pretty restrictive.
josh.hippen2EZG5
Participant
We are using 2017 and it still does this. It also does the same for the emailed links in Change orders. I agree seems like a simple fix. And why does the link cause internet explorer to download a file and force you to open it before it opens up a new instance of vault?
josh.hippen2EZG5
Participant

Is it possible to create a link to copy of a file in the vault that doesn't open an instance of the vault?

tmuel
Advocate

I agree completely, 

We don't use the links for this reason. I understand the challenge if there are multiple instances of Vault Explorer already open, but if that's the case the user could be presented with a dialog box asking if they would like to open it in a new instance, or in an existing instance. If they choose an existing instance, either let them choose, or use the last active .

This would make Vault much more flexible, as it would give the ability to present the Vault information in different ways through a web page interface.

Regards,

Tim

Already submitted and "Under Review" for almost 6 years now...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/vault-file-hyperlink/idi-p/3514362

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

This has been implemented and available now within Autodesk Vault 2020. Please check the help for more details: http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2020/ENU/

dave_taylor
Advocate

Has this been fixed? I still have the same issue in 2021.1.2. When I click on a Thick Client URL, it still opens a new instance of Vault. Is there a setting we can change to make it open an existing client?

Update: I have both 2021 and 2020 clients on same PC. When clicking on the URL file, it opens in 2020, but then every open after that, it opens in the same client. So it works, but just acting strange on my PC since I have multiple clients. I suspect it would work fine with only 1 client installed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report