Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a File With Vault Explorer

Opening a File With Vault Explorer

Can you add the possibility to choose how Vault Explorer will open file, when double-click? Because actually, when double-click an assembly file (IAM) in Vault Explorer (Workgroup or +), it will always open this files with option release-biased. But many people want to double-click on this assembly an open the none-release-biased assembly. Actually, the only method is to use the Open-from-Vault command in Inventor Vault-addin. Thanks in advance.

23 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

dcanup
Contributor

I love this idea!!!

Clarkeng09
Advocate

This is a much needed feature to have.  We recently migrated to Pro from Basic and all of our engineers are used to doule-clicking to open and they would have all the latest files.  Now because we are no longer getting the lastest the "open" in vault explorer is useless.  

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: 投票募集中
Based on user feedback the default open behavior in 2014 Vault Explorer was modified to mirror the CAD add-in behavior. The get command can be used to gather release bias.
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

william.pick
Enthusiast

Hello All,

where can I pre-set this config?

Always when opening from Inventor, I use Non-Released Biased, but when opening from Vault 2022 it's using Released Biased. Can you help me please?

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

@william.pick 

Sorry, but this Idea was not implemented. It was changed by an automation change back in 2014.

Sorry for the confusion.

william.pick
Enthusiast

Hi @ihayesjr 

Is it possible to set Non-Released Biased for Content Center parts?

When opening assemblies from Vault, all parts are opening with Non-Released Biased, except Content Center Parts.

Is it possible to set this config to do the same For Content Center Parts?

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@william.pick 

Can you provide a video of what you are seeing? There isn't a configuration to control how this works.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@william.pick 

I have another question. Are you releasing the Content Center parts?

If so, are you putting them back into Work in Progress?

If you are putting them back into Work in Progress, are you bumping the Revision?

william.pick
Enthusiast

@ihayesjr 

I have another question. Are you releasing the Content Center parts? Yes we do release CC parts.

If so, are you putting them back into Work in Progress? We put them into Work in Progress then back to Released.

If you are putting them back into Work in Progress, are you bumping the Revision? Yes it does pump the revision, it's an option inside LifeCycle. 

When I open a Inventor file, Content Center (CC) parts has a triangle icon (old version) . That's because Assembly was last saved with that part in Revision 1, but now my CC part is in Revision 2.

With normal parts, they update and I get a "exclamation" icon indicating parts with different revision comparing to the release version. That's what I would like to happen with CC parts, instead they are opening in the old version.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@william.pick 

Can you provide a picture illustrating what you are seeing with both normal and Content Center parts?

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@william.pick 

In my testing, I am getting both Content Center and regular parts working the same way.

william.pick
Enthusiast

@ihayesjr 

Sure.

After cleaning the workspace, opening a new assembly, that's the image we see:

image.png

Exclamation for latest version file.

triangle for some revision (not the latest)

thanks in advance! 

ihayesjr
Community Manager

Are the files with the triangles used in multiple sub-assemblies in this top-level assembly?

william.pick
Enthusiast

hi @ihayesjr 

They are used in sub-assemblies and at the top-level too.

Open command:

open.png

then we have a Vault structure like this:

triangle.png

thanks in advance! 

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@william.pick 

Ok, I believe your problem is that some of the assemblies is using an older version of the part and others are using the newer version. You are seeing a race condition of when the file gets downloaded. If all of the assemblies were using the same version, you would see all of the files having the same icon. In the Vault client, perform a Get at the top level of the assembly and make sure it is set to get the Latest and Force overwrite of the local files. Then open the assembly from the local workspace.

william.pick
Enthusiast

It solves when I use Get command with Force Overwrite, bit is there a better way to do this?

maybe a server or setting for all users? 

I'm worried about our 75 users, that may forget to get file with Force Overwrite before open them...

Would be nice to set for everyone to automatically force files when performing a "simple" open command.

Does this option exists somewhere?

Thanks in advance! 

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@william.pick 

Currently, there isn't a way to resolve this, but we can leave this idea open so that we can see what can be done in the future.

mapsuporte
Contributor

Amazing idea!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report