Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obsoleting an item it should obsolete all previous revisions, released or not.

Obsoleting an item it should obsolete all previous revisions, released or not.

Vault Feature Request: When you obsolete an item it should obsolete all previous revisions, released or not.

Obsolete Items are still viewable in Web Client because some previous revisions are released

Ref: previous Autodesk case 09411810 and new Autodesk case 09515277

Also see attached Word doc with relevant context as "Obsolete Item scenario - public.doc"

The customer has the advised workflow and has asked for this feature request case be opened with Autodesk to obsolete all previous revisions, released or not.

The reasoning is so that Web Client users cannot access parts in error that are no longer in production.

The business case for this company involves 35 seats of Vault Pro 2014 and several dozen more Vault Web Client users at multiple sites routinely relying upon the accuracy of parts that are accessible as 'in production'.

They do not want obsolete parts being requisitioned or ordered as parts of extensive bills of material, for example.

They understand that this feature request will likely not be made available in Vault 2014. They have the workflow workaround in place as an alternative as detailed in the attached Obsolete Item scenario - public.doc

4 Comments
john.laidler
Advisor

You can change the permissions of the 'obsolete' state, so the documents are not visible within the Web Client.  Only have a few select people have access.  At my location, we created a new state for this.  When a document is set to this custom state, the document is not visible to most users.  Either with the full 'client' or with the web client.

gerry_treacy
Contributor

Bfelton - can you please let me know what your workaround is, I cannot see an attached doc.

Jclaidler - i presume you are referring to permissions for file categories. Is there any way to restrict access to Items?

I see inconsistent operation with Items, some obsolete Items can be found while others cannot (even though both have prior released revisions). I have not been able to identify any reason for this behaviour. Appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This would be a nice option to have.

One limited workaround is to only show "effective released" revisions in the web client.  You obsolete the latest effective released revision so it is no longer shown in web client and no previous revisions are shown.  This limits web client users to only see the latest revisions for all Items however and may or may not be what you want to do.

If we had the option to obsolete all previous revisions of an Item, then we could show all released revisions for all active Items and the obsolete Items would not be seen.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report