Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move files and include dependants

Move files and include dependants

If you move an assembly/drawing in Vault to another folder, there should be an option to collect and move dependant files (uses) along with the move.  Currently a user needs to manually find (which isn't easy) all dependant files of a parent and move them separately to the destination folder.

An option to move all or no dependants with the parent should be available.

30 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Robert_Kafka
Contributor

Just had a case where a user had a cluttered assembly & wanted to move all parts used into a new folder.

We were able to solve this, (rename, put a marker in it, filter & move it from the main window) but it would have been a lot more conveniant to solve this by easily drag & drop the files from the Preview Pane/ Uses and drag them to the new folder.

Right mose button and is working in it so this would be quite a useful functional addition.

05-05-2015 10-41-37.png

Tags (4)
david.rust
Contributor

It would be very useful if there was a way to select an Assembly plus all its children and move them all to a single location.  Currently we have to manually find all the children and move them individually if they are in different folders.  This would be good for housekeeping.

Tags (4)
kennyj
Collaborator

@david.rust

If you select the assembly, then switch tabs to "USES", can you not expand the sub-assemblies then use "Move to Folder" (Ctrl+Shift+V) to put all the children in the same location?

I agree it would be nice if we could just select the list and drag/drop them into a location.

david.rust
Contributor

No that does not work from the 'Uses' tab.  The Move to Folder tool is greyed out.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

philip.s
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

dominik.gleinser
Advocate

Hallo Younes,

do you have any news reagarding to this idea/requirement?

Thanks!

Dominik

CWeir.CrestlineCoach
Contributor

It would be good to include "Move with attachments" as an option in this. That way, when moving a part/assembly/etc Vaultcould prompt you to move the corresponding drawings/presentations/etc to the same target folder even if they weren't selected explicitly.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

support
Participant

Maybe a function only for Administrators or users with advanced permissions - to prevent failures

jonatan.lothman
Community Visitor

It´s amazing to me that Autodesk haven’t accomplished this useful feature when its been on the wish list for almost 10 years.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-forum/moving-an-assembly-file-and-it-s-children-in-vault/m-p/25...

I would like a in depth explanation why this function is so hard to support.

alaut
Contributor

+1 for needing this feature! As stated above, this has been requested 9 years ago!

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-forum/moving-an-assembly-file-and-it-s-children-in-vault/m-p/25...

This is a must have feature for working in the vault. All too often collaborators have different methods of organization (or none at all) and root directories of assemblies become cluttered with nuts, bolts, screws.

It should be as easy as:

Select Assembly > Uses > Ctrl/Shift Select Dependencies > Drag and Drop to Directory

It seems so fundamental at this point...

gwkiba
Contributor

Yes! this is basic PLM functionality! It is disappointing. Along with this when you do move a file to a new location, it should NOT take you to the new location! Pressing he back arrow is not a solution. It's like the developers have never used Windows File manager? This is simple stuff!

fbk
Advocate
Advocate

A Work-a-round for now is :

• Rename your VaultLocalWorkspace of your C-Drive.
  • GET the Drawing or the Assembly.
  • See the folders in your local Workspace.
  • Look in the Vault for the White balls in the column "Vault Status".
  • Now you know what documents you'll have to move.

Kind regards, Fred Bellekom

gwkiba
Contributor
That would work in simple cases where the dependent files are located in the same or a few folders and subfolder.
However it will not work well when several folders are involved. Most PLM systems have this functionality and it is useful for more than just moving. I.E. Setting revisions, editing properties, setting lifecycle states and renaming files.
None of which are trivial or esoteric. Vault's power lies in linking files. It should provide the ability to select by these connections.
imajar
Advisor

In wonder if autodesk could add a layer on top of the "copy design" tool that moves the files instead of copying them and call the new function "Move design"? . . . plus a few nuances, like maybe notifying the user if files are still checked out, or if files to be moved have other parents. . .

davidnvandoren
Explorer

I too feel this feature should be implemented.  Honestly it could become a staple feature within our workflow.  One immediate problem I see is that we have a few user controlled libraries and performing a blanket move could remove these files from the library (vendor component library).  It'll need some way of of ignoring files within specified folders.

Either way, I'd take something over nothing at this point.

AlexZW28B
Advocate

Yup add one to the demand..er...request for this. I agree that it is disappointing... the fact that they have considered this "under review" for the past 2+ years now... and I also was at the other forum where I had found this request 10 years ago now... shame. This needs to happen, I have used Inventor for about 7mo now, and have been finding that there are many clumsy/archaic processes or ways in which to complete a process... In my mind, it just an indication of lazy developers/managers... granted, there are times where it is not easy - but design is difficult - but more so it seems with Inventor, both for users and programmers? The fact that they have a number of processes which can identify assembly related files, and then allow you to open/find them in the appropriate folders, you figure that adding a copy function would be just the next logical step... or even through the copy design function - why can you just use that command and allow user to provide new location... it is a logical place to put it anyway - seeing as the two are so closely related not?

vandoren.david
Advocate

So I've been thinking of use cases for this and here is what I came up with.

We instruct users to check-in/out files as a daily routine, as there is alot of exchange of files between users.  So users end up checking in many times more WIP and concept models, than they do production modeling/files.  Also, much of our products are related, causing us to work in a single project environment.  What this means is its difficult to separate out the production components from the concept components causing a giant mess in vault.  500GB in a single folder mess.

If I could have release files moved to a released folder easily, without missing any dependents, I could setup project folders and move released documents out of the folder at the end of the project and then purge the remaining files withing the folder.

Please make this an option!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report