Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Reporting Services support

MS Reporting Services support

My understanding is that Vault currently uses a client local version of MS Reporting Services to render reports in the Vault client.  I would like to see support for the server version of Reporting services.  This way I could write companywide dashboard reports.  I would also be able to link Vault data to ERP system data.  We should have a way to use Vault API calls when developing SSRS reports.  If there is currently a way to do this I would like to know.

6 Comments
Redmond.D
Autodesk

Server side scripting is tied in to SQL Server.  Unfortunately, the data looks completely different in the database tables than they do in the client view. 

CoolOrange came up with a utility that uses the Vault API to feed data into a client report.  http://blog.coolorange.com/2014/02/28/very-custom-reports/

You should be able to expand on this sample to include ERP data and whatever else you need in your report.

dvsmiller9
Advocate

Thanks Doug but isn't it still restricted to the client?  Couldn't SSRS use an intermediate data source that would translate Vault API calls into a dataset more familiar to SSRS developers?

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

dvsmiller9
Advocate

I believe what's needed to make this work is a SSRS data processing extension.  This extension would connect to the Vault server through existing SOAP API calls and return a flattened ADO.NET Dataset that reports would access.  The example here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms152917.aspx) creates a dataset internally but the guts could be replaced with SOAP API calls and transformation code to flatten the results to a simple table.

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over 2 years and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know - Vault Product Team.
Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report