Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Users need to take note of this potential costly issue! Please give kudos!

Item Users need to take note of this potential costly issue! Please give kudos!

I've known this issue has existed from about day one in Productstream and now Vault Pro, but
it's time that this security issue is fixed. I feel its a major defect, but they tell me it's "AS DESIGNED".

If you are using items, this has the potential to be costly to your organization. It allows users to print an older version of a file which has been revised and it still shows the water mark of "RELEASED". All without any kind of warning.

We are dealing with items and when an item has several revisions and you toggle back thru the revisions, the drawings
linked to that revision still have a water mark of released, even though the drawing is an old - revised drawing.

The attached video illustrates this disaster waiting to happen.

http://screencast.com/t/h9LJs0mw

There has to be a way to prevent the printing of older drawings with "RELEASED" on them. The water mark should say "VOIDED Drawing" or the like when a user toggles the revision level back. Any guidance here on how to
fix this issue?

Steve Hilvers

5 Comments
cbenner
Mentor

I agree, at the very least it should be up to us to determine what we want the watermark to show on obsolete "released" revisions.  It was the released version at one time but has been superceded by the revision process.  it should no longer have the released watermark (in our case "Approved for Construction".)  

BrotherkennyhDWR
Enthusiast

I Disagree, how can you unrelease a document. Once it has been sent out how can you unsend something? Once suppliers have seen the drawing they cannot "un-see" it. Yes you are releasing a new version of that drawing, but you are not unreleasing the previous version.

When you are ordering parts perhaps you should consider quoting both the drawing and the revision on the order, this way you can be sure the correct issue is made even if a supplier has an old issue lying around. After all, even if you get your vault to remove the Released watermark it is much harder to remove any printed copies from circulation.

Kenny

steveh4
Advisor
Hello Ken...

Understand what you are saying.
We do use the rev level to control our drawings, they must match, whether it's our inside manufacturing or our vendors. But, like all, you have human beings involved and nothing stopping them from over-looking this important, but easily missed detail. We've had both sides miss the rev level and it happens 2-3 times a year.

I'm not asking to un-releasing a drawing, but just saying that it's been super-ceded by a newer version. Right now it's just way too easy to get a previous version out there and if it says "Released" on the drawing, it's very easy to assume that you have the latest and greatest, when in fact you don't.

As for the old printed drawings, that is much harder to dispose of, not sure how you will ever get rid of that. Maybe that will happen when we run out of paper....LOL

Thank you for your insight,

Steve Hilvers

This e-mail message is intended by Unverferth Mfg. Co. Inc. for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This message may contain information that is privileged or confidential. It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by anyone other than the named addressee (or a person authorized to receive and deliver it to the named addressee). If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply e-mail. Thank you.
tmoney2007
Collaborator

I know it is a huuuuge undertaking, but one of the big advantages of electronic master drawings, and paperless systems is that you don't have to worry as much about out of date paper copies floating around.

I don't think that the Item Master is really ready for prime time, if you know what I mean.  Many of the features (at least in 2013) seem well intended, but not developed and thought out well enough to be production ready.

RPdAnjou
Enthusiast

I think you are right, and it should be called "Obsolete" becaus it's an old revision and there is a new and probably improved one.

This does not mean you cannot order the old revision, this only indicates the state of the revision after the new one was released.

On state changes in Productstream we had the jobserver renew the DWF of the old revision and te new released one.

That way the state of the drawing was always in sync with the state in Productstream.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report