Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item BOM improvements

Item BOM improvements

This isn't so much an idea or a wish, it's necessity.  I have 150+ engineers using Items and working with the BOM tools, we've recently moved from a third party cheap BOM management system to Items, and this cheap system was a lot more user friendly, I hear the same words every day "so we've moved to a new system that does less than the old one?".

All of the below points all road back to one compelling factor, whoever at Autodesk was responsible for designing Items has never worked with an engineering BOM in real life.

1) It's currently not possible to search within an Item BOM.  This is crazy.  If I have a BOM with 2000+ lines in there, which I do, I have many of them, I can't search in context to check for something.  People need to do this on a daily basis.

2) I can't see or check what the Item BOM was like at a specified date in the past.  Vault has a habit of tampering with BOMs, people have a habit of tampering with BOMs, it's vital to be able to see the BOM quantities and contents at a specified previous date, currently this is not possible.

3) Copy/Duplicate an Item.  It's normal practice to create multiple parts in the Item master, all that have very similar properties and descriptions, being able to right click an item and chose 'copy part' or 'copy Item' should be there.  

4 Comments
MKWeb
Enthusiast

Add to that the ability to 'sub-classify' items. Example: I have five different L3x3x1/4 angles of different lengths. I would prefer to be able to label them as Item 1a, 1b 1c, etc. instead of items 1-5.

By subclassification, it enables our shop to group the items for fabrication easier. So the chopsaw can do an entire run of all angles for that project without the need to collect all the shop tickets and count how many of each.

Another item I would like to see added is the ability to set typical lengths for structural members (20', 30' ,40' ) so we could calculate how many 'sticks' of a structural member size we need for each assembly quickly.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

point 2 and 3 are now implemented. 

Please check the following help page:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-9196C52E-E194-42F9-9503-162685A86EDA

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-29089524-443F-4B20-B784-3B48766C86F2

Point 1 is considered for future released.

Best regards

Younes

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report