0001-33

In Vault the numbers (IPT, IAM, ...) are sorted as followes:

0001-01

0001-11

0001-02

0001-22

0001-03

0001-33

In Vault the parts are all mixed in a folder. It is hard to keep track!

It would be nice to have a possibility to configure this in vault.

Does anyone knows a possibility to configure this in the "web.config" or another way to fix this?

Thanks!

30 Comments
karthur1
Mentor

At least vault and inventor are consistent.  Looks like windows its the odd ball.  This is what I see between the three.

2012-08-31_0808.png

Would be nice to be able to sort this list like:

0001-1

0001-01

0001-02

0001-03

.0001-100

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

rfletcher
Contributor

Please fix the way vault reads the file name. I have a list of equipment BA12-1 thru BA12-13 and the order of the folders in vault look like this.

BA12-1

BA12-10

BA12-11

BA12-12

BA12-13

BA12-2

BA12-3

BA12-4

BA12-5

BA12-6

BA12-7

BA12-8

BA12-9

I've had issues in the past where a user goes to create a new brace and names his new model BA12-10 not realizing that it's already been created. Then he has to go back and rename all of his file and relink them manually.

Thanks!

Randall Fletcher

Bigge Crane & Rigging

Tags (4)
steveh4
Advisor

Randall...

Windows sorts the same way. I'm not sure if I would agree with your request. Not sure what flavor of Vault you are using, but have you consided the Auto-Numbering feature? This would prevent this potential issue.We used to use excel spread sheets back in the day and ran into this all time. Users would forget to save the spreadsheet when pulling a number. Never have the issue any more. Also, if you haven't, turned on your "Enforce Unique File Names" setting in Vault. It wouldn't catch it in your workspace, but would when you add it to Vault.

tmoney2007
Collaborator

I agree with steveh.  This is how computers (and more importantly databases) order text strings with numerals by default.

This is an issue with the numbering scheme, not the vault.  If there is a chance you will have more than 9 numbers in a series, you should use a 2 digit suffix. 

Just as an aside, you should really avoid leading zeros in part numbers as well.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

ross.hollands
Enthusiast

I agree with Randall,

My preference is that Vault displays files in the same order as Windows Exporer.  i.e. suffix X15 is BEFORE X150 not after!

I can't see any harm in having the ability within vault to order the files in this manner.

Regards

Ross Hollands

Greetings!

We are collecting inputs from Vault customers and users on the following product requirement. Please provide your inputs and votes. This will help us decide whether to include this a new product feature in future release.

The customer wants the folders in Project Explorer sorted as numbers (as in Windows Explorer). In the Vault Project Explorer, the document folders using numbers are not sorted as numbers like in Windows Explorer, so folder named ’92’ comes after ‘899’ and not before ‘100’

regards,

Victoria

Vault User Experience Team

Autodesk

pb
Contributor
Contributor

I want to sort numbers lige Windows Explorer.

Vault sorting Exsampel.. 1,10,11,2,3,4, ....

Windows Explorer.. 1,2,3,4,10,11, .....

Ideastation1.jpg

Tags (4)
BG_one
Explorer

Hello,

From my point of view this is not a new idea, wish or what ever. This is a bug in the system. Nothing else. Should be fixed as soon as possible.

steveh4
Advisor

Just moved from 2014 to 2016 and only a week into this and everyone is complaining about the new windows based sorting. Affecting engineering as well as production.

Our dilemma is that Inventor sorts by digits and if you compare a Vault BOM to Inventor BOM, it's nearly impossible to compare because of two different sorting methods. Now, on top of that, the three ERP/MRP systems that I have encounted over the years also uses this sorting method.

So, Windows is the odd duck in my opinion.

Now...just a little history lesson with Autodesk CAD software.....

Way back in the '97 ish era, MDT (predecessor to Inventor) was using digits to sort. They switched for one release to value sorting and went back to sorting by digits in the next release due to a huge amount of outrage from users.

Then about six years later, Inventor went thru the same issue. It sorted by digits, then for one release they went to value sorting, and then back to digits again after that.

So...who's right? I'm going to have to say that sorting by digits is .....based on the history.

For us...we have 20+ years of legacy data and you are asking us to switch....that's tough to swallow.

Maybe a switch in admin settings?

There's also a discussion on this subject too....

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-general-discussion/vp-2016-sorting-order-has-changed-to-value-ra...

Thx,

Steve Hilvers

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

karl.hamand
Explorer

This issue was posted previously with no replies: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-forum/sort-by-name-not-numerical/m-p/2924048/highlight/true

Sorting columns is one of the simplest ways to find files in a Vault folder.  However, Vault does not sort numerical lists as you might expect.

A sorted list of numerical file names will be arranged as follows:

It would be more useful if the names were to sort like:

Please let me know if there is already a solution to this problem.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
ihayesjr
Community Manager

YounesYammouri
Community Manager

ihayesjr
Community Manager

steveh4
Advisor

Yahoooooooo!

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented with Vault 2018.2

Electrik
Advocate

Is there a plan to update the web (thin client), as well? We now have users seeing things differently, based on whether they have a Vault installation, or are accessing thru IE.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@Electrik, can you explain how the Thin Client users are seeing things differently? The Thin Client,  outside of the Sort ordering discussion in the post, has different viewing configurations.  It is not created to have the same views as the Vault Client.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report