Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Review integration with Vault

Design Review integration with Vault

My company would like to move to a paperless manufacturing system.

I know that many companies would like to move in this direction and probably have, by using "Workarounds".

I would like the ability to use the following workflow:

1.) Create design using Inventor (Creates .idw).

2.) Check the file into Vault (Creates .dwf).

3.) Shop floor opens .dwf (Using Vault & Design Review).

4.) Shop floor creates Redlines and saves file.

5.) Redline file is "Automatically" saved in Vault.

6.) Designer recieves message "New redline available".

7.) Designer checks out .idw and adds redlines as revisions to the .ipt and the .idw and checks file back into Vault.

8.) Vault creates new .dwf of revised file, while archiving the redlined files.

Can this be done? This would be a perfect integration.

Len

7 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

RPdAnjou
Enthusiast

There should be a point 5a I think: Create a ECO for the redlined problem.

Then handle the change as an ECO.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Much of the above list exists in Vault already (including overlaying the DWF in Inventor). The autonotification/auto check-in is lacking from Vault though.

LOONYLEN
Advocate

obourne,

I understand that some of the functionality is there already, just not easily accessible for an international network. Also, I would like the "shop redlines" to be done with a touch screen and light pen rather than a full seat of Inventor and Vault for every machinist I have in my international network. It would have to be efficient for me to make the purchase.

RPdAnjou,

The workflow that I have described here, only focuses on design to manufacturing and any redlines that may occur. A workflow for Engineering Change Notices/Orders (ECN/ECO), would also need to be defined. And yet another for a Sales Change Notice (SCN). What I have described above is just the tip of the iceberg.

ihayesjr,

I would like to offer to help Autodesk beta trial this new functionality using my company's real life orders and processes. Just contact me.

Thanks,

Len

cbenner
Mentor

The biggest issue I see in this right now, is that there is no Vault integration with Design Review at all.  In an ECO, for example, the user has the ability to open a markup with Design Review... which has infinitely nicer markup tools that the ECO markup window.... but has NO WAY to save that marked up dwf back to the ECO, or even check it into the Vault.  He has to save it to a network drive somewhere and manually add it to the Vault.... THEN manually add it to the ECO.

dvsmiller9
Advocate

We are using the ECO workflow and have implemented using a DWF attached to the CO that is used as redline feedback by approvers and reviewers to the drafter.  All redlines are captured in one file instead of multiple ones in the comments section.  This prevents people from having to collate and digest multiple redlined files and comments.  Workflow:  The drafter creates a DWF that encompasses all items on the CO and attaches it to the CO.  A reviewer marks it up but has to manually check it back in thru Vault Explorer.  A vault client in Design Review would help to streamline the process.

kjvierstra
Explorer

I second (or third?) the idea of a Vault integration ribbon in Design Review (similar to what we see in AutoCAD or Excel or Word.)  I want user's to be in the habit of checking in their markups, without having to go through multiple steps, which I expect them to forget how to do or just forget, causing headaches for their colleagues.

It might also be a good idea to add the Vault Status Glyph to the available fields for the Files tab of the ECO so that users can see what's checked out.

As to whether it's a good idea to add additional markups to an existing markup-DWF or create separate DWFs for each markup, I think there are pros and cons on both sides so it should be left up to each organization.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report