Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COPY DESIGN to reset revision history & assign default Lifecycle

COPY DESIGN to reset revision history & assign default Lifecycle

I would like to see an option to reset the rev scheme to the same value as a brand new file, and to reset the revision history of that file on Copy Design.

Because of legacy data from Vault Basic with manually managed rev values, I have 2 different rev schemes and 2 properties to synchronise. 1 scheme for pre-manufacture (A, B, C, etc...) and 1 for released for manufacture (1, 2, 3, etc...). I have a situation where I have a released file at rev 2 that I copy design. As an example the IPT file changes to rev 1 but and the IDW file changes to A. I have a process that sometimes works to reset the rev and history. I change category of these 2 files to Base, then revise them to Null rev scheme, then change category to Engineering (default for Inventor files) which creates the rev value A. If I then work on that file and try to release it to the manufacture rev scheme (1, 2, 3, etc...) I can't get it to work properly. The IDW file will change to 1 but the IPT file changes to 2. And the previous rev history remains so when I place a rev block it contains all of the previous data.

I've come to the conclusion that it is often easier to just start with fresh files and re-model.

4 Comments
olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

I created this post and again have this issue. The problem has grown because I was using Workgroup and now am using Pro with ECO's. And today I had another instance of this problem. I have a workflow that my VAR came up with that might work, but I feel that Copy Design needs a setting or option to reset the copied files to the same as a new checked in file (for me that is Rev A and state of WIP).

The workaround workflow (could be risky though):-

1. Do copy design
  2. Get files locally
  3. Delete versions from Vault of the copy design files
  4. Open files from local WS, and check in again
  5. Do a sync properties so Vault revision (A) is pushed back into files
  6. Release models/drawing
tbrucehp
Community Visitor

this is not a workaround. it is a janky dangerous hack. we are copy designing entire machines for seperate clients and it is stupid that revisions would not reset on new (copy designed files) it is also time consuming to have to do that workaround on machine made up of 1000s of ipt and iam files.

unacceptable

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in Vault 2015 R2 version of Copy Design

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report