Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Databases Only

Backup Databases Only

It would be useful to be able to backup\restore with out the filestore.

A commandline swithc would be useful to exclude the filestore from the backup if you just want to either validate your databases by restoring them to a test\dummy machine.

For sending the backup to support

For testing the migration to a new release

Then the ability to attach the filestore later.

10 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

smilinger
Advisor

Or can we backup and restore the database and filestore manually with SQL server management studio?

stelios
Explorer

i dont see why you wouldn't be able to backup the database manually?

Richard.Rankin
Autodesk Support

It is possible to backup and restore manually, through SQL, but this process is not supported and not documented. There are many customers who would struggle with this.

To clarify, the wish is to take a backup through the ADMS Console, ommitting the filestore.

johnathan_ward
Contributor

What I would really like to see is the ability to backup a selected vault and it's filestore, where multiple vaults exist within the ADMS. I would like to have the option of excluding Content Centre Libraries from backup and restore options.

Obviously, having backed up a single vault (database and filestore) I would need to be able to restore a single vault into the ADMS without overwriting existing vaults and libraries.

Richard.Rankin
Autodesk Support

This could also be extremely useful when migrating through multiple versions of Vault 2009 to 2020 for example.

freesbee
Collaborator

...oh my God, how can this not exist yet?

freesbee
Collaborator

...so in a continuous effort to address limitations that should not even exist, I have written a couple of commands that would do the job, and here I'm sharing them. As long as Autodesk comes up with a formal solution, at least users like @Richard.Rankin will be able to obtain what they need without any additional tool.

After the small script a couple of comments will follow to explain how to adapt it to your specific scenario. According to my test this has been working fine with each release since 2015.

set "_rel=2020"
set "_localTarget=D:\path\to\my\Adsk\Vault\Backup"

REM cleanup database dumps older than 1 day
forfiles /p "%_localTarget%" /m "*_VaultDB.bak" /d -1 /c "%ComSpec% /c del @path /f /q"

REM backup Adsk Vault
"%ProgramFiles%\Autodesk\ADMS %_rel%\ADMS Console\Connectivity.ADMSConsole.exe" -Obackup -B"%_localTarget%\A" -VUadministrator -VP<myVaultAdminSecret> -VAL -S -DBSC -L"%_localTarget%\LOGs\VaultBackup.txt"

REM find and move the database dump, cleanup the useless copy of the datastore
forfiles /s /p "%_localTarget%\A" /m "<myVaultName>_dbbak" /c "%ComSpec% /c move @path %_localTarget%\YYMMDD_VaultDB.bak" && forfiles /p "%_localTarget%\A" /m "VaultBackup*" /c "%ComSpec% /c RD @path /s /q"

First 2 lines should be obvious

The third action wipes away database dumps older than a certain number of days ("/d -1" means 1 day in this case). In order to increase the number of days some additional code is needed to properly parse the "YYMMDD" string that is found later in the code.

<myVaultAdminSecret> should be also quite clear

<myVaultName> is the name of the Vault you want to dump

Clearly this syntax is written for a single Vault but can be easily adapted to multiple vault scenarios, and, once parsing "YYMMDD" properly, can be used to keep, for example, the 5 latest days of database backups on the drive.

Be aware that the last command is a single command that wipes away the copy of the datastore only if one database backup has been found and moved to the %_localTarget% location.

Hope it helps 😉

P.S.: @johnathan_ward the switch -DBSC should skip content center libraries as you wished

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in Vault 2024.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report