Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Folder Placement based on Category

Automatic Folder Placement based on Category

Add functionality that will allow a file to be automatcially placed (based on rules) to a certain folder based on document 'property' or 'category'.

7 Comments
Neil_Cross
Mentor

At our company, in which we're not unique, we're very strict on what our files are named and where they're stored.  Unfortunately, Vault gives us absolutely no assistance with this, controlling this is entirely manual.

For example, our parts are numbered AB1234, this file should without exception be stored in a folder called "AB1234" with a path AB\AB1000\AB1234.  With a user base of 150+ and a vast mix of skills, personalities etc, it's almost a full time job to monitor and make sure people are following this.  

As Vault is, I can create a file in AutoCAD/Inventor, save it, press SKIP on the amateur flimsy numbering scheme prompt, call it "TROLLOLOLOL.ipt" and stick it in any folder I want and the Vault will let me.  I've locked things down as much as possible with ACL but it's still not good enough, the file AC5555.ipt can be checked into a folder called PF1234, it's a free for all.  I appreciate different companies work in different ways with different controls, but there's no arguing with the fact that right now there are no controls at all on this.  

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

MikkaR
Observer

Add and option to AutoNumber to AutoPlace the file in Vault with no user input.

They hit save, it gets Numbered AND it gets Filed based on rules in the AutoNumber. End of story.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: 投票募集中
This has been implemented with Autodesk Vault Data Standard. Available as a subscription download.
john.laidler
Advisor

Great, thanks!!!!  I'll test this out, once we upgrade to Vault 2014.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report