15 Kudos
jclaidler

Assign Category per Folder

by Valued Mentor on ‎09-06-2012 08:00 AM

Have a category automatically assigned to a document, based on the folder it is 'imported' to.  This would work only when there is a new documnet, or not another category, assigned to the documnet.

Comments
by Contributor Maarten65 on ‎09-17-2012 03:56 AM

Or even better, make it possible to create a rule which says:

If location path [contains - euqals - does not contain - etc]   "*/library/*  set category to cat_library.

by Board Manager on ‎09-20-2012 09:54 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by Valued Contributor sathersc23 on ‎09-25-2012 03:53 PM

I would definitely use this for my specifications folder. Everytime an engineer drops in a new spec it will automatically get the specifications category and set to work in progress...

by Employee on ‎11-03-2012 03:29 PM

This feature is a must have for AEC companies that are Project Centric

by Employee on ‎11-16-2012 10:46 AM

FYI,  I came up with a solution involving scripting.  Have a look at my blog post for more details.  Let me know what you think.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-17-2012 02:58 PM

Just a report from my comment on Doug's Blog Post:

Doug,

This step will cause an error to be thrown when exporting the vault configuration from the ADMS console:

"Set up File and Folder categories with matching names for cases where you want the script to run. This step is needed because categories can’t be shared across Files and Folders."

Its a bug within the database I believe, once that is fixed then there will be nothing wrong with this approach. Bloody good work otherwise.

Cheers

Scott

by *Expert Elite* on ‎11-17-2012 03:00 PM

Maybe you could change your code to look for the same names between the two, but the folder rule could use F_ as a prefix or something to maintain unique category naming?

The bug should be fixed of course, but this would be a semi-acceptable workaround.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea
Top Kudoed Authors