Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Search/Find for Vault Status

Advanced Search/Find for Vault Status

Hi,

I have many times needed the property "Vault Status" in advanced search/find drop-down list.

In our company, we store a lot of common data in Vault, in different locations. Templates, styles, settings, symbols etc. are all there. So there is quite a lot of files everyone have to make sure they have up-to-date versions of locally on their workstations.

Vault status.png

The problem is, I find no easy way of seeing which files have been updated in Vault, which I (or someone else) have the incorrect local version of.

To solve this, I have been thinking that there should be the possibility to set up an advanced Find/Search folder with the property "Vault Status" set to "Incorrect version" or something, which we could use to search different folders for files that have been updated in Vault, which are not up to date locally. Then we could easily select all of them, and right-click to download all.

That would help alot.

24 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted
Have you tried using Workspace Sync so that it will automatically update your local files?
BrotherkennyhDWR
Enthusiast

Hi,

We use a network share for our templates, styles, content centre cache etc. The vault project is directed to this location on the network share. This way once one user has the latest file, all the users do. I can't see a reason why different users would want different versions of these files.

Still I definately agree that using ther vault status as a serch option would be a great thing. I often would like to serch by which files do not match the vault version or are even just downloaded to the working folder. It would also be handy if this kind of serch could identify items in the working folder with the "?" status for files that have not currently been checked into the vault yet.

Kenny

catot
Advocate

Hi,

Thank you for the tip ihayesjr, I feel quite stupid having overlooked that function..

We have tested Workspace Sync in the office. After setting it up properly, it seems to be doing what we were looking for, and has thus been implemented. A common settings-file have been distributed to all users (placed in Vault)

However, I find it would still be handy with that advanced search function as I stated above.

Kenny, I'm familiar with that approach, as we did exactly the same in my previous job, and that worked fine (just had to limit write access to the specified folders on the network share) 

sleposa
Observer

I would like a way to create a saved search in Vault workgroup that allows me to see if any files in a certain folder are newer than what is saved on my desktop. I can create one if I have a numerical value for the Vault version, but not one that identifies what files are at a different version than what is on my desktop. This will work great for 2D or 3D part libraries in which there are multiple subfolders under one main folder and it is also updated by  anyone. Currently, I must go through each subfolder to know what is al a different state. This would allow me to at a glance see if anything in my library is out of date and use the files on my desktop instead of checking them out everytime.

Neil_Cross
Mentor

What you're asking for is possible to achieve, in a not so ideal way.  I can only assume you've thought of this and discounted it as this a very basic straightforward thing to achieve, but in case not, this will go some of the way:

Tools > Advanced Find

Click Browse > Select only the folders you want to check local file status

In the criteria, select something like File Extension IS NOT EMPTY then search

Save the search as a folder

Click the saved search in Vault Client

Customise View and add the Vault Status field

That will then show you all the files along with the red dot if your local copy is out of date.  Unfortunately you can't filter out the files from the results that are not out of date though, which is why I assume this approach isn't suitable if there are thousands of files to scroll through.

johannes.bauer
Autodesk Support
Hi, still you cannot filter on the Vaultstatus with the saved search, so with 100000 files you would need still to browse cumbersome through all. Thank you Johannes
AlexErman
Advocate

Hello,

any news on the Advanced serach "Vault status" option based on fact that it was accepted in 2014?

Best regards,

Alex

jkrajnc
Explorer

This would really help save time. Looking forward to see this implemented ASAP.

stenhofsteenge
Contributor

is there a solution already? 

i would like to create a search option to see which files are stored local. 

so that i can easily see which working copys i forgot to delete.

RStancescu
Collaborator

Hi All

You guys found a way how to search for Vault status / File status files?

I just cannot figure it out.

Thank you

radu

jkrajnc
Explorer
No solution for Vault Basic. The only help that I found is to sort per vault status icon in certain folder. Then you have all not up to date files together and you can update (get) them with a little bit simplier selection.
Cor_Blimey
Contributor

This suggestion was marked "Accepted" five years ago... what does "accepted" mean? Will this type of search be implemented, and if so, when? This need comes up weekly for us, and the only thing we can do is to sort by Vault Status and just scroll through tens of thousands of search results, which is not a viable solution.  The ability to search by Vault Status is critical to our ability to administrate our Vault implementation and for our end users as well.

RStancescu
Collaborator

Hi all

I'm trying to create a search that finds all files with green circle. That is files that I have updated on my computer but aren't in Vault yet. 

I tell my Vault users to delete their local files before going home after checking in process.

Would be nice if they can check for files that worked on them and are not in vault yet... if they delete them then.... files are gone.

Is it possible?

Thank you for your help

radu

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

peterjoachim
Enthusiast

Has there been any resolution to this yet?

lee_j_keith
Advocate

Yes, a way to perform a search on the local workspace by Vault Status is needed. For example, if you have worked on multiple files during the day in different folders, it is impossible at the end of the day to know what files need to be checked in unless you look in each folder. That is tedious and error prone. A better way would be to created a saved search that looks for modified files in the local workspace that are no longer in sync with Vault. The Vault Status icon already does this, but you can't filter on it's various states, which would help users A LOT. Should be pretty basic to implement. or better yet, incorporate this into Workspace Sync so that it offers to check in modified files.

Cor_Blimey
Contributor

This is URGENTLY needed. This idea was "Accepted" in 2014 (whatever that means) and then a month ago downgraded to "future consideration" with no explanation.  What is the status of this? Are we still in the dark after 7 years?

I think the icons would be tough to include in search or filtering or grouping without text, so maybe the thing to do is to add a column called Vault Status (the old one would be Vault Status Icon) and allow searching, filtering, and grouping by the new column. The new column would be text, not an icon. 

I can't believe Vault Status isn't something you can search, filter or group by. Seems like a huge oversight for a relatively simple thing.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

The Vault Status is a dynamic field and not a static value inside of Vault. That is why it is not searchable.

If it were static, the moment a user opened the Vault Client, it would have to scan all files inside of the Vault, compare it to the file on disc, then update and store the status inside of Vault for all users. Only to have to somehow keep track of this information for all files while you are in the client. This constant check would have a negative performance effect for the Vault client and server.

lee_j_keith
Advocate

Then maybe incorporating into Workspace Sync is the way to go. Currently when it runs it updates out of date files, so it wouldn't be a stretch for it to flag modified files that are candidates for check in. There's a hole in functionality here that needs solving in some way for users who have a lot of files in their workspace. Or at a minimum a field to search by local workspace file modified date.

swalton
Mentor

I understand that Vault Status is dynamic and subject to change at any time.  So a tool that tries to keep a real-time list would have performance effects. 

I'd still like to have a search tool because my workspaces get large.  (currently 34,509 files and 137 GB).  Workspace sync does not work well on large workspaces.  It takes ages to read through my workspace and check status.  The interfaces is not clear when dealing with 20000 files.  I don't trust it to understand the next step required for each file (check-in, delete, update, ignore)

Anyway, I'd be happy to see a an Advanced or Saved Search in the Vault Client that would scan my workspace and let me see every file with every Vault Status.  I would be able to run the tool when I need to and I can see what needs to be updated, checked in, or deleted without relying on the Workspace Sync tool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report