Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

visualization help

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
greglucas9037
475 Views, 8 Replies

visualization help

We are running vault collaboration. We are having some issues with the dwfx when it is created it is putting it into a "CAD Standard" category and not leaving it in the base category. I think that I have it narrowed down that this is happening when the job processor runs to update the visualization files. So ....

1. How can I change the category of a dwfx? (I try to change it from the admin side but it will not let me at all).

2. How can I change the settings in the background to ensure that when the job processor runs that it does not put it in the CAD standard category but instead leaves it in th ebase category so that it is viewable through webclinet for the guys in the shop?

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
olearya
in reply to: greglucas9037

Hi Greg,

The category rules are set under "Tools > Administration > Vault Settings > Behaviors > Rules" - so obviously you will need administration privileges to access the settings here first of all.

In there you will find a list of rules - the rules are prioritised and applied from top to bottom - which means when a file is added to Vault it finds the first applicable rule to categorize.  I suspect there are 3 potential issues here:

1. Make sure you do not have a rule applied to dwfx files (filename ends with or file contains dwfx).  

2. Make sure if you have rules for ipt, iam, idw etc that the rule is NOT "filename contains" because the dwfx file will contain that text - the rule must be "ends with".

3. Make sure that the "Default" category rule is set to "Base" - someone could have changed this.

Please note it should not matter how the dwfx is created, the rule should always be applied on file add - also note you will need to remove categorised dwfx files or at lease change category / state etc.

Hope this helps 

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 9
greglucas9037
in reply to: olearya

"Please note it should not matter how the dwfx is created, the rule should always be applied on file add - also note you will need to remove categorised dwfx files or at lease change category / state etc." -

I have been trying different ways to get these incorrect categorised dwfx files removed. They show that they are in work in progress but they are locked liek they are released. Any idea's?

Message 4 of 9
olearya

Hey Greg,

This will come down to your particular lifecycle rules - you may need administration privleges to completely remove and recreate the dwfx as they are linked to documents.

Although a little more complicated you can also modify the lifecycle state to include "null" lifecycle state and change the state to "nothing" which is how the dwfx files should behave.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 9
greglucas9037

Allan,

When I go into the lifecycle definition for the "CAD Standards" I find that I hve the right to modify and delete through the admin function. So I should be able to delete the existing dwfx for the work in progress part. I am still unable to do so. The dwfx is locked with the padlock on the vault view and it will not allow me to delete it.

The default catagory was set to cad standard but I have changed that to base. I have looked all over the lifecycle definitions of cad standards and to me everyting appears as though it looks right. It is very strange and confusing as to why I am both not able to delete it and/or change the catagory of it.

When I do attempt to change the category of the dwfx from cad standards to base I get the message "No changes were detected."

Greg

Message 6 of 9

In addition I did add the rule "File name does not contain dwf" as part of the CAD Atandard rules.

Message 7 of 9
olearya

Hi Greg,

It is a little curious that the dwf files are appearing as locked, without seeing your lifecycle rules however I can not really diagnose this much further.

If you log in as administrator you should be able to select a dwf and select "Properties" from the file menu.  This should grant you access to override security and delete the file with administrators "ignore restrictions".

This is quite a complicated workflow but without resolving your state based security issues the best I can offer for now.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 9
greglucas9037

Thanks for your help Allan. I have tried the override function with no success. I will look further into it and/or contact our dealer for some additional tech support.

Thanks,

greg

Message 9 of 9
olearya

No problems - at least we seem to have solved the original assignment issue - just need to resolve the issues it created.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report