Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migration to Vault 64 bit server but 32 bit clients

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dlacey
572 Views, 6 Replies

migration to Vault 64 bit server but 32 bit clients

Hi.

I am about to upgrade our Vault server and want to use 64 bit server 2008 software for more memory and I need to know the following please:
1. Will our current 32 bit Vault 2010 database restore correctly to the new 64 bit installation?
2. Can our existing 32bit client installations connect to the new 64 bit vault server without any issues?
3. Is there anything I need to be aware of before going ahead with this?

Thanks in advance

Darren

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
paul.gunn
in reply to: dlacey

Hi,

There should be no problems with restoring your databases or connecting to a 64 bit machine. Are you planning on installing a 64 bit version of SQL server? If so, I'd recommend doing that before installing ADMS - ADMS will install 32 bit SQL express if SQL is not pre-installed, which might not be what you want. Pre-installing SQL is covered in the 'advanced configuration guide' if you're not familiar with the process.

Paul

Message 3 of 7
dlacey

Hi Paul

Thanks for the response and the tip.

We use the SQL express for Vault server - does the 64 bit version come on the disc for pre-installation?

Thanks

Darren

Message 4 of 7
paul.gunn

Hi Darren,

I don't think 64 bit express comes on the media but it is freely downloadable: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=58ce885d-508b-45c8-9fd3-118edd8e6fff

Here is a link to the advanced configuration guide. The main considerations are you need to create a 'named' sql instance 'autodeskvault' and set mixed mode authentication. The config guide has steps for doing all this [starting on page 4]: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15733290&linkID=9261341

Hope this helps,

Paul

Message 5 of 7
dlacey

Excellent - thanks for your help.

I will get the new server ordered and then completely mess it up Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 7
Daryl.Pilarski

Darren, I am doing basically the same thing you were trying to do (moving a 32-bit Vault database onto a new 64-bit server).  Did you get it to work?

Thank you

Daryl

Message 7 of 7
dlacey
in reply to: Daryl.Pilarski

Hi Daryl Hopefully this reply will post for you. Yes all was fine - just set up the 64 bit server, install the 64 bit SQL Express and then just install Vault. It works fine and standard 32 bit clients connect fine. Best Regards Darren

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report