Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hot to delete a vault user

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
c.henry
4553 Views, 10 Replies

hot to delete a vault user

I can only find the option to edit the user. Where is the delete user button ?

Vault 2010 by the way
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: c.henry

Don't think that you can delete a user. All that you can do is uncheck the "Enable User" box in the bottom of the Edit User dialog. This will disable the user.

Message 3 of 11
c.henry

I certainly hope someone from Autodesk can tell us different. To me that is a major flaw.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Karthur1 is correct. We do not delete the user because you would lose
the history.

-Jim

"c.henry" wrote in message news:6170831@discussion.autodesk.com:

> I certainly hope someone from Autodesk can tell us different. To me that is a major flaw.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

This has been covered a LOT of times over the
years.  A search of this discussion group will tell you both the answer and
the logic.

1. You can't delete users in the system - they're
attached to history and this history needs to be associated with
something.

2. Starting with Vault 5 we allow you to RENAME a
user ID.  this means if you make a typo you can change it.  Re-assign
it to someone.

You never want to permanently remove a user that
has been used.  You want to disable them.

--
Brian Roepke
Sr. Product Line Manager
Autodesk,
Inc.
Message 6 of 11
c.henry

they are user accounts that were set up and have never been used by anyone, so no history to attach.

, am I to understand that you can not leave information like "created by" last modified by " in a file without having a user account for that person ?
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

That's correct - simply rename those users names if
you never used them when you need additional users.

--
Brian Roepke
Sr. Product Line Manager
Autodesk,
Inc.
Message 8 of 11
dgiorgi

It appears that Autodesk does not trust the Admins out in the field to make a responsible decision whether do delete a user or not. The software should also be intelligent enough to know that if a user or group is used and has history, then it cannot be removed.

This is definitely a shortcoming in the software and short sightedness on the part of the Autodesk programmers.

Message 9 of 11
cbenner
in reply to: dgiorgi

Welcome to the forums... did you have a question?  Generally speaking, your first post being a gripe is not very constructive.  I understand (believe me!) the frustration with the software's real or perceived shortcomings.... but a more constructive post may be to place a suggestion in the Vault Idea Station:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault-IdeaStation/idb-p/2 ...

or here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

If you have a specific question, there are a number of good people here ready and willing to help.  This particular forum section is followed by a number of Vault team members who have gotten me out of a lot of holes in the last few years.

Message 10 of 11
BSchubring
in reply to: Anonymous

I'd never thought of renaming. That might help. Not to assign the ID to a new user (I'd prefer not to inherit history) but to maybe help clean up the user list dialog box. Right now, we have almost twice as many inactive users as active. It makes navigating this box a pain.

Perhaps a checkbox to 'Hide inactive users' would be a good compromise? That leaves necessary accounts in place, but doesn't clutter the screen with inactive users.

Message 11 of 11
ViperRT10
in reply to: Anonymous

My major concern is with automatically created accounts and long term maintenance.  We currently have many accounts that are read-only and are created with their domain creds (division/username), making renaming somewhat awkward.  We are in the midst of trying to clean up and do some organization of our data and it would be a major asset to be able to remove old/unused/redundant accounts and allow these read-only users to establish fresh creds (if they are even still with the company) on their next login.

I truly see and agree with the logic of once a user has even a single record to their name we lose the delete ability but would love to see at least an option of removing reference accounts.  To carry it even a step further to allow the removal of any accounts but the history gets reassigned to a system user (division/UserRemovedByAdmin).  Technically these records still have the true user name they were created by in the CAD file but the Vault maintenance becomes much easier and adaptive to long term changes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report