Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assigning items to files with similar names that are different file types

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
RPM_FX
319 Views, 3 Replies

assigning items to files with similar names that are different file types

We have various assembly drawings that have electrical schematics using the same file names. Only the schematics have a "-schem" tag following the typical drawing number used.

example:

1234.idw  (mechanical drawing)

1234.inv (inventor file)

1234-schem.dwg  (electrical drawing)

I create an IPT titled 1234-schem and vault that alongside the 1234-schem.dwg file with no issues. When i go to create an item for the 1234.dwg file I get an error that items cannot be assigned. There are restricted items/files that are either locked or some other message.

is there an option or setting we have to change to fix this to allow us to assign items to our schematics? I am guessing that its not recognizing that our schematics have the "-schem" tag following the typical name being used and its queing up issues that are currently open on the .idw or .inv files?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: RPM_FX

I doubt that it has anything to do with the naming.  We do the same thing here only a bit different.  Our top level assembly drawings have an -02 suffix, Equipment layouts are -03, frame prints are -04, Electrical -05, P&ID -01.... all with the same project number up front.  I'm able to assign items to all of them with no conflicts.

There must be something else in your schematic files that is conflicting.  How are these files generated... what software?  And can you post a screenshot of the error you are getting when you try to assign item to them?

Message 3 of 4
RPM_FX

Thanks for responding and offering your scenario.

We draw all of our electrical schematics in AutoCAD Electrical. We use inventor for the 3d models and IDWs.

Here is a screenshot of one instance where it notes that it wont allow an item to be assigned because a few drawings are checked out:

3.jpg

Another instance is when we do check in files it will allow an item to be assigned but it shows a huge list of parts in the dialog box:

5.jpg

Our schematics are 2D. They dont include any of these parts/blocks in our drawings so were wondering where the association is? Why does it link these parts to a schematic??

Thanks for any input/help

Message 4 of 4
cbenner

Autocad Electrical is a different sort of animal.  When checking into the Vault, you should always check in the Project, not the individual sheets.  That might be a part of what's causing the problem.  AcadE doesn't do much through Project Explorer.  When you check in a Project it takes all of the sheets and support files with it.  Then, Assign Item to the project file, and again it takes all of the sheets and support files with it.  The "extra" items you are seeing, are all of the components you inserted in your schematics or panel layouts.  Every item that comes out of the catalog in AcadE will be checked into the Vault as it's own Item, in the BOM of the project Item.

Frankly, I haven't figured out yet how to deal with these productively... not that you can't, I just haven't had the time to get into it.  What I do right now, is (from time to time) I created a Custom View in the Item Master to look only at Electrical Items.  This view may already be there in your custom views, but if not I can talk you through creating it easily enough.  With only the electrical items showing, I just nuke them all.  (this will not include the project or drawing sheets) I'm not using them at this time, so I don't want them cluttering up the Item Master.  Someday... I WILL get into using that part of the system, but I'm in baby steps mode.  We just got our ECO system up and running.... now I'm converting Acad E to do all of our P&ID's.  Maybe next I'll deal with this issue....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report