Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault renaming when other user checked out parent

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
valdas
475 Views, 6 Replies

Vault renaming when other user checked out parent

Hi,

I am looking into Vault funcionality and can't find out one thing:

What happens, if User1 renames File1, which is child (xref) of File2. File2 at the time is checked out by User2. When do the User2 will see that the File1 name is changed? What potential problems that could cause? What would be recomanded worklow for these situations?

I am talking about AutoCAD files in this example.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: valdas

I would think that if "File2" is checked out to a user, the xref that is attached to it would (possibly) be checked out as well, preventing the rename form taking place.  If this is not the case, I suspect that the renamed xref would show up as soon as the File2 is opened.... it would probably show up as an error since File2 is still looking for the old filename.  Not dealing with xrefs on my end, I'm not too familiar with what the fis is, reattaching the xref form Vault, perhaps?

Message 3 of 7
mikel_martin
in reply to: valdas

If user A has File 1 open and checked out, and user B renames file 2, which is referenced by File 1, the following will happen.

1. User B renames file 2; the file will be renamed without any errors or issues.

2. User A will see a status change for file 2 indicating that it is out of date.

3. User A then refresh the file using Get/Checkout.

4. The new version of File 2 (with the new name) will be download and loaded as an xref into File 1.

This would also happen invisbibly if the user was to re-open the file at any time after the rename.

Hope this helps.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 7
swalton
in reply to: mikel_martin

Mikel,

What happens to File 2.oldname in User A's workspace? 

Does it get renamed/moved as per User B's changes or does it get orphaned in the workspace and cause confusion?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 7
mikel_martin
in reply to: swalton

Files in the workspace do not get removed as a result of move/renames in the Vault.

However, if the user were to use workspace sync (Vault workgroup or Professional) it will clean up these orphaned files.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 7
valdas
in reply to: mikel_martin

Thanks for the help, I have experimented a little bit, and I find that Vault deals with ref's when you Check-In and Check-Out file again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report